Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DnD Campaigne Map - using Gimp

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's what I would do in the mountains:

New layer, fill it with 50% gray, set the layer to overlay, use the burn and dodge tools with a big soft brush tip and make darker and lighter areas to denote high and low areas. Once we get that worked out we'll move on to the forests.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I should get used to post after days work on the map and not at the beginning, the last map was more a try than a serious version of the map.

The hight feeling wasn't the problem, more how to use the texture on the mountains. And maybe change their colors.

I think I came to an satisfying solution, the only problem now is that it's a bit noisy in the .png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lowangenv4-1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	13099  
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

So, actually I think this is close to the finish line... open for suggestions, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lowangenv5-1.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	13148  

Hey there, sorry to jump into your thread late. I think it's looking good. Just a couple of things;

1-I wish your forests had just a bit of volume, not quite sure how I would achieve that though, as I haven't tried this scale yet. On a smaller scale a cast shadow works great to elevate a given object, maybe you could try a black outline on the forests... not sure, someone else may have a better suggestion.

2-I'm assuming your brown terrain is rocky, desert, or infertile for some reason, but what that reason is (or what the terrain is) is unclear. From the climate and scale my impression is they are too expansive, unless you have a reason for wanting them that way.

Those are my thoughts, do with them as will or ignore them, , still a good looking map.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Thanks for the remarks Feralspirit. I will work on the woods a bit more... don't know if I get something usable.

The brown spots: Yes, I know they are a bit too big, on the other hand I already planned the streets around them so I want to let then as they are... maybe the bigger have some ancient tower or castle in the middle, abandoned because of former fights between wizards. Would be a reason for new adventures there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123