Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aeolond - WIP

Best of all, there's a built-in conflict! Without constant divine maintenance, one of the rivers will eventually capture the entire outflow of the lake. Overzealous adherents of one of the attributes represented by a river will no doubt do things to hasten their river's capture of the lake outflow, reducing and eventually eliminating the influence of the others. Your job, dear adventurers, is to maintain the balance and prevent the destruction of civilization.

Very beautiful map.
    I just noticed one thing: In the legend there are villages but not in the map. I wouldn't suggest to add villages because then the map would be overloaded with these things but you could remove them from the legend.
    Maybe you make the streets with dotted or broken lines and mention this in the legend instead of the villages.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Quote Originally Posted by elemental_elf View Post
    However it was simply a portal at the bottom of the sea to the west... I love the idea of making the portal a massive adventure site via a large Maelstrom...
    Maybe instead of a perpetually open portal, it could be one that opens and closes periodically. Kind of like pulling off the plug of a filled sink but putting it back in place before it's emptied. This would make the maelstrom bigger, and it would influence tides.

It would also be very interesting to have it as an obstacle on an important ship lane. Captains would be aware of the timing of closings and openings, so they would try to sail across the danger zone when the maelstrom isn't active. But if a ship gets caught in a calm, loses it's sails or is otherwise stuck near the portal, it'll be in danger of being sucked in.

Another interesting possibility would be if the thing starts malfunctioning, causing the world to flood or draining the ocean dry.

Thanks everyone for your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Maybe you make the streets with dotted or broken lines and mention this in the legend instead of the villages.
    I would love to do that but I have no idea how to make dotted or dashed lines... I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS3, if it matters.

At any rate, here's the latest map. I've eliminated the roads in this version because I desired a less 'cluttered' version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeolond the newest.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	12860  

Hi everyone!

Here's the latest map of Aeolond as well as a map with the road network. I've always had trouble with roads as its hard to really justify why roads go where they do. For your convenience I have color coded the 3 most common types of roads in Aeolond. The red colored roads, often called the Empire Roads, are those created back when the Second Empire was founded some 200 years ago. At that time the continent was sparsely populated with towns and thus the road network was likewise small and tended to connect the few towns that existed. These roads are maintained by a Road Guild, which survived the Empire's collapse. The Yellow colored road is called the Coast Road and was created to beater connect the coasts with the interior. Finally the blue colored roads represent highly trafficked roads maintained at at each Kingdom's expense (meaning they tend to vary in quality from great to a muddy path).

At any rate, I'd love some feedback on the road network as well as anything else you can think of concerning either map

Name:	Aeolond 1854, slimmed DOWN.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	13801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeolond 1854, for the cartographers site 1.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	13802  

Those are very nice maps Elemental Elf. The one with the road system is especially cool.
    Some of the place names are hard to read... do you have a bigger version?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Those are very nice maps Elemental Elf. The one with the road system is especially cool.
    Some of the place names are hard to read... do you have a bigger version?
    Thank you for the compliments

I am currently working on a larger map for the very reason you listed

EDIT: But don't let that deter any comments, the larger map will be just that, a larger version of this one, so any concerns or criticisms of the current map will be carried over to the next!
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 06-03-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Here's a blow up of the north east section of the map, in case any one was curious/interested

Name:	Midlands final.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	13920  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12