Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eneini: a medieval city tutorial (in Photoshop)

Tutorial [Award Winner] Eneini: a medieval city tutorial (in Photoshop)

Okay, friends, as requested I am attaching the first part of my city map tutorial, which shows the process I followed to create Eneini in Photoshop. I hope it helps you in some minor way with your own endeavors!

Attached is part one of the tutorial. Part two will be in the next message.

Enjoy, & please feel free to send me improvements, suggestions, & criticism. Take care!

EDIT 30 April 2007: Changed the tutorial to contain no background pattern, to make printing easier & less costly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pyrandons_city_map_tutorial_pt1_214.pdf  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Post city map tutorial part 2

Here is the second half of the tutorial

EDIT 30 April 2007: For easier & less-costly home printing, the tutorial background pattern was eliminated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pyrandons_city_map_tutorial_pt2_677.pdf  
    Don
    My gallery is here

I was able to download both parts but it took a bit of doing, I had to make sure that I saved the files to disk instead of opening them directly in Acrobat as I usually do.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Thanks very much for the tutorials. I had the time to follow them through using the GIMP. I kept a few notes along the way to highlight differences in the applications, but feel the results turned out satisfactory.

This was done as a technical exercise, as opposed to mapping for a purpose, so you may see a strong resemblance with your tutorial map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.png 
Views:	8274 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	23127
    The real trick is in the streets. I found it took an incredibly long time to hand draw in streets. most of mine ended up either too rough, or too straight. I think it would be easier with something other than a mouse...maybe I need to buy that graphic tablet...

-Rob A>

P.S> This was about 6 hours effort.

EDIT: I posted on the end of this thread rather than starting its own as this was to demonstrate the tutorial...

EDIT2: I cleaned the layers up a bit, removed some of the texture layers, and adjusted the levels. Also, some judicious use of unsharp mask was applied to emphasize the man made object layers
    Last edited by RobA; 03-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA
    Thanks very much for the tutorials. I had the time to follow them through using the GIMP. I kept a few notes along the way to highlight differences in the applications, but feel the results turned out satisfactory.
    No, thank YOU for using the tutorial & posting the results. It's nice to know someone else 1) can follow my chickenscratch; and 2) found my six-fingered, humpbacked brainchild interesting & worthwhile enough to take the time to use it. Nice work, too!

I would be very interested in seeing your GIMP notes--perhaps to add to the original tutorial or perhaps to post as a second, separate tutorial for GIMP users. I also have a couple questions about your end results in comparison to mine (ex: does GIMP not have the same filter(s) as Photoshop?) Would you be willing to email your notes & ideas to me?

Quote Originally Posted by RobA
    The real trick is in the streets. I found it took an incredibly long time to hand draw in streets. most of mine ended up either too rough, or too straight. I think it would be easier with something other than a mouse...maybe I need to buy that graphic tablet...
    Yes, tell me about it, my friend! I tried many, many different filters, fills, processes, & combos of all the above to create the effect without the need to draw in all those streets by hand, but none of them turned out worth a darn. All fell at either end of the spectrum: either too mechanical or too random.

Drawing those streets with a mouse (and I did it with my first map, so I know too) is a major pain; the tablet helps a lot. So do lots of breaks. And listening to songs like "Carefree Highway," "On the Road Again," and "Route 66" over & over again.

On the up-side, a positive aspect of my "artsy fartsy-ish" map style is that I don't need to become Captain Anal Retentive and sweat over each & every street, but I can instead "scribble & slash" them to suggest reality. I don't think yours looks at all bad, Rob, but I'd put in about another 50% worth of side streets, alleys, courtyards & such.

Thanks again to everyone for your compliments; I'm so happy I was able to give you a little something. Again, please let me know if you find improvements or can suggest ideas.

Take care,
    Don
    My gallery is here

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    I would be very interested in seeing your GIMP notes--perhaps to add to the original tutorial or perhaps to post as a second, separate tutorial for GIMP users. I also have a couple questions about your end results in comparison to mine (ex: does GIMP not have the same filter(s) as Photoshop?) Would you be willing to email your notes & ideas to me?
    No problem, just need to make them a bit cleaner. The big difference is that Gimp doesn't have layer effects. You need to apply effects as separate layers. That means that if you change the original layer, you have to redo the effect layer. Take drop shadow as an example. I f you erase a part of the main layer, you would have to regenerate the drop shadow or there will be an anomalous bit of one left.

Yes, tell me about it, my friend! I tried many, many different filters, fills, processes, & combos of all the above to create the effect without the need to draw in all those streets by hand, but none of them turned out worth a darn. All fell at either end of the spectrum: either too mechanical or too random.
    I did a bit of experimentation, and there is one filter in GIMP that gives interesting results...mosaic. I make the "grout" the same green as the fields to make it appear as grass in peoples yards. I have attached a sample

I don't think yours looks at all bad, Rob, but I'd put in about another 50% worth of side streets, alleys, courtyards & such.
    I agree, the look like big lumps. I was just getting fatigued. I think the mosaic might be a good solution. Just need to play with the settings more.

-Rob A>

Clever idea, Rob! The mosaic tiles do not look bad in the GIMP edition you've posted; not bad at all. I think one would still need to hand-draw in most of the same alley & sidestreet lines, so I'm not convinced this is a huge time saver. Is that assumption correct?

Also, after playing with Photoshop a bit I can't seem to reproduce your exact effect, even using the mosaic, mosaic tiles, and other pixelate/texture filters; even with some play adding other filters, etc., the result appears too "geometric" in my tests.

Another option occurred to me while playing: creating a "buildings" brush that dabs in groups (or lines) of houses; I had thought of this more for villages, where the spaces would be greater, but I wonder if I could make it work for cities, too. I'll have to experiment with that.

Thanks again, and nice work!
    Don
    My gallery is here

I'm not sure what the mosaic settings in Photoshop are.

I have attached the Gimp dialog. I found the best effect was as selected (for buildings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.png 
Views:	2641 
Size:	455.5 KB 
ID:	23128
    I also did a quick test running the mosaic filter three times. Also attached. Think I'll keep playing as there seems some potential for filling large areas easily. There has to be a reasonable programmatic way to generate streets.... might have to look into L-systems and fractals again

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 03-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast