Thread: PANGEA a Spanish RPG

Map PANGEA a Spanish RPG

About the world of the Map
    PANGEA, is the third RPG edited by Ediciones Sombra, it is a setting of wild prehistory, written by Enrique Garrido (with the colaboration of Marce Andrade and Esteban García)

PANGEA setting references an age when every living creature was stablishing the basis of their civilization. A low technology era: there is no wheel, no agriculture, no animal breeding, just garhering and hunting; little is know about iron forging, it's a stone age; and there are many enemies: the rest of living creatures. PANGEA is not an historical RPG (because T-Rexes and Sabretooth tigers are cool as enemies, aren't they?). There are lots of races: the durk (a kind of molemen, almost blind but with impressive claws) hasta los arwan (hombres alados), the kotai (old style cavemen), the gardan (catlike men), the tikki (small quarrel seakers), the Gruba (not very inteligent giants). Every race has lost of detailed information about their rites, their dresscode, their names, etc.

About the map itself
    I made the map following RobA tutorial on 'Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map', I used a PANGEA base map and followed the tutorial, but in the final steps I changed a couple of things:
    • First I used a Texture for the mountains and made the shadows "on hand".
    • Second, instead of noise I used some textures for the forests, the idea was to show the variation of the vegetation in function of the latitude.

It took me about 10 hours, first because I'm not a GIMP expert and I was developing my skills and because the biggest error I made was not showing to the community the WIP, for sure it should have saved lots of hours, and had improved the final result.

This map has been published in the editorial's e-zine, in the section dedicated to fan-art.

I've uploaded two versions of the map. The original one and the stony textured one. When I first submited the The people form the editorial suggested me to add a "stony" texture because the prehistorical background of the ambientation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pan-mapa_rev_piedra_vb_2.jpg 
Views:	3525 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	12721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pan-mapa_rev_b.jpg 
Views:	4000 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	12722  
    --
    vehrka

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby. Looks like you started with RobA and added a bit of Pasis...they go well together it looks like. The forests need a bit of work but since it's done, well, so be it. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very well done.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

@Ascension: Yes, the forests is one of the things I must "improve", I hope it will be a question of practice. I didn't knew about Pasis tutorial, but it seems quite interesting. thx!

@Bohunk: thanks for the comments.
    --
    vehrka