Thread: Help with CC3 please

Help Help with CC3 please

Hey guys!

Okay... a continent has been created in a 3500x3500 format. What I want to do (now that the country borders are created) is zoom in so as to include the entire country in window and then I want to cut and paste just the selection of land that is in the window and place it into a new CC3 document.

Is there a way of doing this? I've scoured the documentation and haven't found anything that fits this. Help anyone?

Thanks!

~Valtharius the Mad
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Argontath Map Finished Thread

My Flash Website! - Welcome to Argontath

Yes and No.

The are a few methods to do this in CC3.

While you could ZOOM in, and then use the Copy to Clipboard selecting manually everything in your zoomed view, you WILL find that things that extend OUTSIDE your zoomed view's borders will be copied.

While this is not exactly what you may want, it is then a simple matter in your new document to use the TRIM TO ENTITY option to trim those things extending beyound the border to the border. In the case of Polygons, you will need to explode them and then carefully trim them to the border, and then connect with paths and then MULTIPOLY them back into a single polygon.

The other method is to simple save a ractangular PNG view of the zoomed area, and make a whole new map of that area. I prefer this method because you can then change things up quite a bit.

For instance compare the map of the BC Coast (with particular attention to Vancouver Island Near Victoria) in the first image. Now compare that to a ZOOMED in view of that same area. Notice the coastal detail shows many inlets and islands that was not visiable from the more gross view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC Coast 1.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	12725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC Coast 2.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	12726  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

NeonKnight, you help has been invaluable! I see what you are saying in regards to exploded views to show more detail in the surrounding areas of a smaller map. It's too bad that CC3 does not have an option of "Cut To Borders", or something along those lines, and have it automatically cut everything down to the map area you have zoomed in.

I've been zooming in and cutting and pasting area by area, but that is taking an inordinate amount of time. I am also considering taking a screenshot of the area and re-doing the .bmp image in GIMP. I am really torn as what to do. lol

Again, thank you for your quick response and I want you to know that I have really enjoyed your work so far!

~Valtharius the Mad

You can cut and paste the objects to the smaller scale map, then explode the larger scale poly and erase to the border. You then add lines, use line-to-path to trace the lines and then close the path to create a new poly showing the smaller area. There's a tutorial somewhere that describes this. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Edit: (here's one)
    http://www.welshpiper.com/files/Crea...alMapInCC2.pdf
    Last edited by Valarian; 04-24-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Valarian,

That link is like ambrosia! Thank you! Time to print up another PDF file. heheheh Thank you again!

~Valtharius the Mad

Default more questions about this tip

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I have been trying all evening to trim to entity/break/split/cut & paste/anything that might work to get a smaller version of the bmp map I imported. I am pretty close to ceremonially burning my CC3 manual.

I think the problem I have is with selecting the right object. Or that CC3 is just too complex - suggestions on a easier program welcome!

Without a little more information as to what you have done, etc. it is a little hard to give advice. Have you put a border around the new map size? The Border would be the ENTITY you would be trimming to. Additionally, you would need to ensure that you work layer by layer (and sheet by sheet). I.E. Start with Coastlines, then do rivers, then do mountains, then forests, etc, Freezing each of the layers you are not working with.

Its because of that amount of work, I go with merely redrawing the map when I get to a zoomed view.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave