Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procedural cities

Post Procedural cities

One of my favourite sites of old....I've been slacking visiting it lately is 'Twenty Sided' by Shamus Young who has been doing a number on procedural cities which might be of interest.

Link here

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    "Downloads have been suspended. This project was carried out as part of a research masters and as a result the code I developed belongs to ITB. "

$3450.00 SE, $4950.00 Pro

Blog Entries

All links are still appreciated tho even if they end up being research or have price tags on the final software.

For those new to our continued search for the holy grail of auto generated city mapping there's been a few threads posted in the past.

IMO whats needed first is for someone to break the deadlock of fitting a 2D set of building footprints (like just black silhouettes) into an arbitrary shape boundary (like a white polygon). If I had the time id work on it and it has been worked on in similar fields like where people have to cut odd shaped panels out of sheet material. Once we know where a house needs to be planted then the rest all follows. The placement of the house needs to allow for access and light and yet also use lowest build cost so sharing walls etc.

There's been a few new scripters out there recently joining. I have seen python and ruby mentioned a bit... if anyone would care to have a pop at it then it would allow some amazing city mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    needed first is for someone to break the deadlock of fitting a 2D set of building footprints (like just black silhouettes) into an arbitrary shape boundary (like a white polygon)
    Doesn't that procedural forest script do that? Just change the trees for boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    All links are still appreciated tho even if they end up being research or have price tags
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise.
    S'ok, toff. I'll make allowances because you're on the moist side of the mountains.

My goal for those posts was to add some research papers to the mix. The second link is a collection of papers that works well enough that they're able to sell the resulting tool to game and movie studios, while the first spawned a good series of SIGGRAPH posters.

I have a very old and slow implementation that involved the user dropping a basic layout for water and roads, then the software would drop rectangular boxes along the road and water, aligning them to the roads and rivers. The original specs for that software called for automatic road and building placement given a few parameters such as an underlying height field, blocking items (walls and rivers), and goals (try to make roads reach places such as gates, fords, and keep preferentially close to water, buildings, and other good things). The results weren't great. It's been 5 years or so and I should be able to do better if I can crack free a few dozen hours.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140415 Suicidator city engine looks also pretty promising procedural city generator. I think it's written in python and you can specify your own styles for the city buildings, if you have the skill and understanding of how it works. It would be very nice if someone had enough insight to test it out with medieval styled buildings and post some results. I know some basic python, but my understanding about procedural model creation isn't that great.

Note: The image is from the page above.
    Last edited by Jykke; 08-27-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast