Thread: Cerala - Regional Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Wip Cerala - Regional Map

Well, hello everyone! Haven't posted for a long time now. Too much to do unfortunately and my RPG time is very-very limited. Anyway, I am working on this region called Cerala. An interesting region with various contradicting realms and nice politics. Also, a background place for a lot of the world's history...

Anyway, since I found out about Pasi's tutorial I wanted to try his techniques and here are the results. I am very happy with the mountains and the forests. I am a little skeptic about the rivers (haven't followed his techniques) and the overall scale of the map. Please, point out anything that stands out as wrong or you don't like...I've been working on this all afternoon (yes, I got some time off everything...at last!) and I need to let my eyes rest for a while, to see what I can spot tomorrow...

I also attach the political map of the region...I have some more ideas on it, but I'd like to finish the normal map first...

That's all folks! Nice to be back (even for one map!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cerala_v1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	12738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cerala_political_v1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	775.8 KB 
ID:	12739  

The rivers that flow into and from the lake in the middle have three different places where they run out to the sea. That just wouldn't happen.

I like the font that you used in the political map, and the way that you did the borders.

The mountains have a good look to them and merge with the ground pretty well, but the ridgeline is a little too straight for my taste.

The map has a nice shape overall, and I like the oceans. It is a good start and only needs a little more work to look a lot better.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The river irregularities have already been noted so enough about that.

I like both maps, but on the first one since the beveled coast is so pronounced (at least to me ) that I think your ocean needs some sort of texture to ease the severity of the transition..
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for pointing out the river anomalies...Tried to correct it, but still unsure...I've been almost 12 hours at the office today, so not what I call a clear eye...

Anyway, I think it's more or less done, although if something sticks out again please tell me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cerala_v2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	828.7 KB 
ID:	12819  

It looks very nice, I like it.

When looking closer I have a problem with the swamp... it's not clear if the rivers are beginning there or (as intended, I think) ending since they are getting narrower in both ends. Maybe the swamp color needs more blue... by now it looks nearly like a forest (for me at least).
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Guild Journeyer

Yes, you are right...I will try to fade the rivers rather than narrowing them. I will also try some blue...or something...later...must...sl...eep...

Overall, I think it looks pretty good. The only thing that stands out to me is the apparent ridgeline for the northern mountain groups and along the chain extending from the northeastern portion to the south. If they're intentional, then it isn't really a problem, however, they do stand out just a bit and give me, and it could just be me, a wall like impression similar to, say, the Great Wall of China, but on a much larger scale.

You might also consider giving the forested areas a slightly stronger texture as well, just to help them stand out just a tiny bit more.

Still, on the whole, great job, and I'm looking forward to any tweaks you might add in just to finalize the finalized product.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges