Thread: River Police Please check

Guild Apprentice

Question River Police Please check

Before I continued with my current mapping project, I was hoping I could get some advice from the River Police. How are my rivers? Should there be more rivers? How does the Delta look? Should the rivers be a darker color?

I know the rivers look flat right now. I plan to add a bevel effect once I take it a little further.

The Darkened areas are were I am going to put mountains.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river check.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	12753  

The two rivers to the east come so close together, I think they might merge in the real world.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Although I'm not a member of the River Police, I'll go ahead and make a few suggestions. The big river flowing out from the south ought to have a delta (see the Nile and Volga rivers for good examples). That river probably has too many channels at its mouth because the total flow of the river through the delta should equal the flow through the main channel.
    I would also recommend some additional rivers in the mountains to the north. If the mountains in the lower-right are truly rain-fed mountains then there should be another river or two coming out of them to the south. If you're going for a Tigris-Euphrates system there then those mountains would be much smaller and the peninsula would be much more arid.

I've attached an example with some of the suggestions.

It's interesting to see a map where Jerusalem got hit by a black hole that sucked in the surrounding terrain...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river check.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	12755  

Post River Police inspection...

The river in the south with the delta looks far too straight before it arrives at the delta. Not that there aren't fairly straight rivers, nor is there really anything wrong with your delta. But together they don't work to well.

Older rivers arriving on a flat plane tend to meander a bit, before starting to "delta" out at the mouth.

Straight rivers mean there's significant elevation and the water is fast moving therefore it is straight, which also signifies a "young" river. If fast moving, it should remain straight and no delta when arriving at the sea.

You'll need to decide if that is a young or older river. If you want to keep the delta, I recommend putting some side to side bends and turns before arriving at the delta.

Nice try, though, and otherwise perfectly "river police" legal.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I'll fix up the map and post once again once I get the mountains all set.