Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veems, Daedir, Iloth - WIP

Wip Veems, Daedir, Iloth - WIP

Well my campaign is moving south. I posted the map of Iloth - my current campaign setting - in the finished maps section. I've decided to take a very close look at the capitol of Daedir, the city of Veems. The best way for me to flesh out the details of a place is to map it; while I'm taking the time to fill in the visible details of everything, their purposes and stories manifest. So I made up my mind that I'm go all out with Veems as it's going to be a very large part of the campaign I'm running, and I'll likely be using this city for quite a while.

The first WIP map is the area of Veems (without the surrounding farmlands). The second is a view at 100% and the only real thing I've yet done. The whole map will be 1 pixel per foot, 4000 pixels wide and 3000 pixels high, making it print out on 16 pages (landscape), 4 wide and 4 high... HA! The part I've started on is the Driftwood District, which is the oldest part of Veems. So, all in all, feel free to tell me what you think. I'll post on the progress as this map will likely take me a little time to complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veems_wip.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	737.5 KB 
ID:	12759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veems_wip_detail.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	828.0 KB 
ID:	12760  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The area map has some tiling going on with the the grass, but no big deal really.

The close-up map of the city is coming along quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's my intention to fill - in one form or another - every square inch of the area. If all goes well, the tiling grass shouldn't be noticeable at all by the time I'm done with it.

We'll see...

I like the light house beam - great touch!! Detailing this map to the level you've started is going to be a mammoth job - best of luck with it! Have some rep to keep you going! What are you making this in?

Currently creating it in PhotoImpact from Ulead. The art comes from various sources such as the fill art from Symbol Set 2 (CC3) and the buildings' roof textures from a texture collection I've had for a while as well as some of my own work using Photoshop or Genetica Pro.

And... you're right, it's going to be a mammoth job

I've actually made quite a collection of custom textures using Genetica that I keep meaning to assemble and put up for download here for anyone that wants to use them. I'll get around to that sometime soon, hopefully.

What you got so far is looking great. This is indeed going to take a lot of work, but I will try to cheer you on
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Well I didn't get as much work done today on this as I wanted to Just added the neighborhood and some ground features. The Driftwood isn't nearly as compact as other areas of the city; variety could be difficult in other areas. At 1 pixel per foot, it's a little redundant to focus on adding smaller city features like benches and wells... though I did manage to throw in the large fire pit behind Driftwood Inn and a big wagon beside the wood shop! Anyway, to bed I slither...

Name:	veems_wip_detail_2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	991.4 KB 
ID:	12777  

Nice additions. This really is a huge undertaking
    But the end result is going to be amazing if you are able to finish the city in this kind of detail.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like this a lot but there's 2 things that come to mind: make the shadow for the lighthouse longer to suggest height and the patterns for the various roofs don't look like they line up properly. The fix for that is a bit time consuming...place buildings down according to the cardinal directions (N, S, E, and W), apply pattern, flatten layer by merging it to an empty layer underneath, rotate house to fit the street. It's a really nice looking map, though, so you may want to do the pattern fix on something else.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Haven't slept...

Here's what I've worked on over the night. I noticed the alignment too, Ascension; I'll fix it but it'll have to wait. I want to focus on getting the city built before I begin to really polish the surfaces. Thanks!

Name:	veems_wip_detail_3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	12784  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast