Thread: WIP - Wheyvern

Map WIP - Wheyvern

Hello Guild!

It's been a long time since I've last posted. Balancing School work and the Social life I have been unable to take on any big projects for awhile. I've been on every now and then to browse. But now, I have one map in progress. I hope to be more active now.

The world I am working on is Wheyvern. I've got the basic land form, color, and texture down right now and I just want some opinions. I'm using Gimp currently and have taken some good techniques from RobA's tutorial (Which is amazing I might add) and I will be doing some playing around with the program later on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheyvern Bleak.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	12765

Wheyvern is a world that has been "patchworked" together from various other worlds and planes. Any suggestions would be very nice.

Thanks and Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some interesting land shapes you have there.

Could you be a bit more specific as to what kind of suggestions you're looking for?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm trying to add some different and interesting elements to the world. I was wondering if anyone could offer input. For example I was thinking about doing part of the map in opposite colors to emphasize a "negative" plane.

I am open to any ideas, or "suggestions" if that helps any.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

To me, the negative plane would have no color, just grayscale. That, of course, is very much open to interpretation but it would lend itself better for mapping as orange water and red grass would look very odd.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah I agree with Ascension, a 'Negative Zone' should probably be done gray-scale or with lots of very dull greys, browns and greens.

You could also do some things with 'floating' land masses or maybe have them attached to the continent with some strange kind of tendrils so they drift abit.

Maybe some sort of inverted cavern system.

Just some things that popped into my head this morning.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I've finished a bit of Relief work for the land. I've got two pictures below. One is the base, just to lift to shores up a bit and add definition. The Second is the full blown mountains set up and around the World. I've even begun coloring in the mountain tops to add some definition.

Name:	Wheyvern Bleak Relief 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	12827

Name:	Wheyvern Bleak Relief 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	12828

Starting to come together.

Though right now it looks more like land floating through the sky with the ways the seas are.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's some crunchy land. I fear, though, that you need some flat areas or else no one will be able to farm food. My two cents.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

NymTevlyn

Tell that to the chinese and their terraced rice paddies.