Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet unnamed project in the lands of the fallen ones

Wip Yet unnamed project in the lands of the fallen ones

Time for a new project again and I’m planning to make it quite big with a lot of details in it. Let’s see if can hit a sweet spot or suffocate while trying.
    I have been implementing new techniques and ways to generate height differences and here is a small sample to give you an idea. I still need to add a lot of vegetation as it’s too rocky at the moment. Also the rivers should be straighter in many places as the water should have carved smoother way through the rock over time.
    Please let me know if this is good of if there is too much going on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	12766  

Very nice textures so far. It's going to be sweet to watch your progress
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree. Looks great so far. My only problem is that the texture on the mountains looks a bit too dense for me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like a "Badlands" type of area to me so I'd suggest something more arid/tan and less lush/green or flatten out the crunchiness. Looks nice, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sure its good. Keep going with this. I would like to see the final product.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks like a "Badlands" type of area to me so I'd suggest something more arid/tan and less lush/green or flatten out the crunchiness. Looks nice, though.
    The ground was originally more tan, but I added adjustment layer in last minute to make it more green, which I agree is not maybe the bets solution. Good thing is that I can correct that in just one click.

And as overlordchuck said the mountains are too rough. I'm good at adding roughness, but not good at taking it away. The texture itself is so crunchy and if I blur it, it doesen't look good as everything else is so sharp and if I reduce the opacity, they become transparent. Maybe adding another sedate layer on top (or below) and try playing with layer properties and opacity. If anyone has a nice method for this I'm all eyes.

For taking away detail, you could try playing with difference blending modes, or something. Invert the over-roughed layer, set it to difference (or something similar), and a ridiculously low opacity. It'll probably produce really terrible results with just the filter applied at first, but if you do some tinkering and add in other techniques, you might be able to come up with something; who knows?

Another option might be to duplicate the rock layer, and put some low gaussian blurs on it. Then drop a black layer mask on it, and brush with white at low opacity set to 'lighten' and lots of overlapping strokes to bring back some of the sharpness. Might even things out more.

I actually haven't looked through any of your tutorials, yet (which is surprising), so I don't know enough about your techniques to offer more specific ideas, currently. Hopefully I'll have time in a couple days for more.

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 04-27-2009 at 04:28 AM.

I've been tossing this around countless of times and tried many techniques with no luck. The problem lies with the technique I use to raise the mountains as it roughens up the textures significantly.
    I need to move on and come back to this problem at a later time as it seems I cannot crack it now.

The overall shape is forming up toward to its final look. Most of the costal line is not finished though but is a rough sketch made with large brush. The sample here is in low res and the original is 6000x8000px, but you should get the idea and there is actually a “picture in picture” showing the real resolution.

Next to come:
    - Finalizing the mountains as those are still almost flat. Also some other terrains need more shadowing to get them more 3-D.
    - Finalizing the coastal line and add islands.
    - Most of the paths for the rivers are ready and rivers can be drawn.
    - Add more vegetation (grass brushes and trees).
    - Civilization and all things related

So it will take at least few more weeks so I guess I’m in half way there as I started about two weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	12838  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast