Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting out, my first city (City Designer 3)

..larger version below..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-Town_2_large.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	12807  

Ah yes, much better. Now I can see some details.
    You put flags on some of the towers?

Some suggestions:
    - You might want to extend the dirt square to the castle building. As people are walking in and out the grass would turn into dirt.
    - Also you might want to place another building nearby to act as the stables.
    - Finally you could consider giving the roof of the castle a little color, making it stand out more.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Ah yes, much better. Now I can see some details.
    You put flags on some of the towers?
    Yes, I wanted flags at the gates of the city. I guess I cannot change their color, the symbols only come in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    -Finally you could consider giving the roof of the castle a little color, making it stand out more.
    Can I do that now, or should have I done it prior to creating the building? I'll look through the properties sheet, maybe I will find something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixpengo View Post
    Can I do that now, or should have I done it prior to creating the building? I'll look through the properties sheet, maybe I will find something there.
    One way to do this is put the building in its own sheet.

- Create a new sheet, for example: "Castle"
    - Right-click on the "Sheets and effects" button and click on "Move to sheet"
    - Select the castle buildings and right-click
    - Pick "Do it".
    - Move the buildings to the "Castle" sheet.
    - Now add all the normal building effects to the "Castle" sheet.
    - Add a adjust hue/saturation effect. You can use this effect to give the building a blue color for example.
    - Having the castle on a seperate sheet gives other bonuses as well. You can adjust the shadows for example, so that the castle casts a longer shadows than the other buildings.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Thank you Gandwarf, very good idea and explanation. I am a bit frustrated with CD3, it lacks a preview for applying effects (a fast preview, on a small part of the drawing), and that makes using and combining the effects difficult.

Sheets are powerful and I try to use them a lot. However, I did not manage to see the power of Layers in CD3. Do you use them at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Mixpengo View Post
    Thank you Gandwarf, very good idea and explanation. I am a bit frustrated with CD3, it lacks a preview for applying effects (a fast preview, on a small part of the drawing), and that makes using and combining the effects difficult.
    Yes, it's frustrating. If I know I am going to experiment with effects a lot, I start an empty map. Load times are generally fast. When I have found the effects I like, I implement them in my maps. Experimenting with effects on larger maps is not a good idea, as applying the effects takes more and more time.

Sheets are powerful and I try to use them a lot. However, I did not manage to see the power of Layers in CD3. Do you use them at all?
    No, I have to admit I have no idea why I would want to use layers. I understand what they do in theory, but that's about it. I am not sure if I am missing out on something. It's also a bit weird that sheets are actually called layers in most other programs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123