Thread: WIP - Western Marches [GIMP Questions]

Help WIP - Western Marches [GIMP Questions]

Hi all,

I'm attempting to make my way through RobA's GIMP tutorial using a scanned in version of my RPG campaign world. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on Post 4, where I'm inverting colours with fuzzy select (the wand) on the Land Clip, trying to define my coastline.

The first problem is that on the Land Clip, I've inverted the color on most of the land masses. However, when I try to click on the very small islands, and I invert them, they stay black.

The second problem I have is now that I've undone those islands, when I try to invert colors on any land mass, they stay black.

What am I doing wrong? I've uploaded a PNG version of my map thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarchesB03Invert2.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	12772  

Guild Apprentice

Are you using the Selection > Invert or Color > Invert?

Selection invert will allow you to change the selected area while color invert will shift black to white.

The other thing you could try doing is using the fill tool to fill the land in black, then invert color over the whole map. RobA's tutorial can be a little tricky the first time through.

I hope that helps some, I'm still new to most of this myself.

Ok, I got past that hurdle, found out I was on the wrong layer. I managed to get that stage done.

On to the sea. I know I went wrong, and the first place I can see it varies from the tutorial is Post 6.

I created Sea Shape and Sea Noise, no problem, and merged down. I then duplicated the layer 'Sea', and added layer mask, choosing 'Land Mask' and choosing 'Invert'.

The problem I see is that there is a mask next to the layer Sea, but unlike the tutorial screen shot, my layer next to it is pure white, where the tutorial has the coastline.

If I bull on past that, I normalize the colors, but when I 'Alpha to Selection', invert, and fill with white, I get an area that looks nothing like my continent.

Where have I gone wrong now?

Name:	SeaProblem1.PNG 
Views:	71 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	12773  

Guild Apprentice

Have you got the mask set up correctly? In the screen shot, it looks like your mask is solid white.

Something that tripped me up for a while is that when you're making any changes to layers with masks, you need to make sure the layer is selected and not the mask.

When you apply the mask correctly, you won't see any change unless you turn off the visibility of the lowers layers. Try doing that to see if you've got it working the right way.

Good Luck.

It looks like I am making the mask incorrectly.

On Post 4 it says to use the magic wand tool and click in the dark area. That's great, but it doesn't deal with my internal lakes. So I tried to alternate between the land clip selecting the different 'areas', and then flipping back to the land mask to fill them with white. That seemed to work, but when I save to Channel, it only shows a bit of the image where I last selected.

So I have to leave out an island or a lake or two from my channel. Is there a way around this?

I've attached a screen shot....

Name:	Post4Problem.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	12799  

Guild Apprentice

To get your lakes, Shift+click using the wand tool to select multiple areas.

Ok! I was able to create my land mask channel!

I got some serious headway, and now I'm on Post 10 ...

I created my dirt layer, although it looks like I've drizzled my land with butterscotch. Does this look right to you folks? I used the settings in the screen cap of the tutorial (174, 2.29, 193).

When I got to the point of marking out my deserts, I picked the brush 'soft light' ... the demo calls for soft white, but it's not an option. I tried to draw on the map to fill in my deserts, but nothing appears to be happening. Where am I going wrong now?

Here's a screen cap ...

Name:	Post10Problem.PNG 
Views:	100 
Size:	895.9 KB 
ID:	12803  

OK, never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong with my dirt, and fixed it.

Now I'm on Post 11, working on mountains. I've got my mountain layer, I've added my MountainNoise layer, but I'm thick as a brick when I am creating my MountainClip layer. I'm referring back to Post 4 for the TLS strategem, but I'm really lost on what to do.

Can someone explain the Mountain Clip layer to me, like I'm five years old?

Guild Apprentice

Create a new layer filled with white.

Set the mode to Lighten Only (it defaults to normal).

Go to Color>Levels and adjust the right hand arrow of the lower slider until the mountains you appear.

I'll keep checking back for more questions if you have them.