Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Shegu

Blog Entries

I think they'd work better if either the central white line that is the spine of the mountains was thinner, or maybe if it varied.

I agree with Ramah: the white ridgelines are a little too wide (relative to the slopes) and too regular. They look to me like those thick brown vines that tend to grow up large hardwood trees, with the 'hairy' root-like structures clinging to the tree, itself.

-asp

Rivers added. In the second pic I wanted to show what look I am trying to achieve. I think I will work on them some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reverse 5.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	12840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancient_britannia_1852.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	640.6 KB 
ID:	12841  
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Ah, okay. After looking at the mountains in that map, I see what you're shooting for.

I think shrinking the white portion a little might still fix your problem, though. The map of the Isles appears to have shading at least as wide as the 'ridge' on either side, whereas yours has the 'ridge' quite a big wider than the slopes, relative to the total width of them.

That's just my personal opinion of it, though. As you get more parts of the map completed, your choice of spacing/sizing may turn out to work perfectly.

Can't wait to see more!

-asp

Durn these big files. I've really got to get a faster connection one of these days.

Anyways;

As always, I look forward to seeing your work, Bohunk. There's just something about your style that grabs me and keeps me interested. It'll be interesting to see how close you get to achieving the look you want with this map and when you get finished with it, I'll definitely take the time to load/look at what you've done. Until then, I'll just have to keep my curiosity piqued with the thumbnails included in the posts.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

OK, the second image you included definitely helps to show what you are trying to do.

I think you're on the right path - looking forward to your next update to see what you've come up with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

New update. Played with mountains, I think I like them better. Labels, labels, labels...

Let me know what ya think.

...it needs color.

Name:	Reverse 7.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	12854  
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No matter what I can't get past Steel's comment about veins (mine look like that)...all I can think of is maybe if the "white line" had some variation in it's thickness (thinner as the range peters out). At any rate, far beyond me so keep up the good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Still looking good to me. In regards to the mountains. Perhaps a bit of grey-scale noise along the splines as well as a bit of blur would make them look less "vein-like" and give them a bit more variety in appearance. And, as Ascension said, narrowing them down near the ends of the chains might help as well. Not knowing whether they are on their own layer, however, I'm not sure just how you might accomplish that now.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Continued with the mountains. Gave them some randomness that we all seem to think was missing, also they are starting to look like some of the maps I am constantly staring at. Hopefully they are looking a little less like veins.

Also added river names, and I added the greenish color just to help out my eyes a little and I think I like it.

Still labeling...

Name:	Shegu.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	12871  
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast