Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Shegu

It's not just the artistic quality but the huge number of labels to your maps which give an indication of a massive scale. As you know I love your maps, and this one is no exception.

Blog Entries

I think the new mountains look loads better now. I have to admit, I just couldn't get on with them before but now I think they look great.

Just about finished. Added a ton more labels, borders between contries and a cartouche, (prob some more stuff that I forgot to mention). Thanks everyone for forcing me to work on my mountains, I would have probably left them vein-like if you guys hadn't mentioned anything. Keep the comments coming.

Ravs: I just like the look of ancient maps, most of which have thousands of names on them. I think it makes the world and/or map more realistic and lends itself to more imagination.

It is usually at this point where I start to wreck the map with age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shegu.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	12918  
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Blog Entries

Not much of a nitpick but shouldn't it say "majesty's" on the cartouche?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Not much of a nitpick but shouldn't it say "majesty's" on the cartouche?
    Please do...I always screw something up spelling-wise. Thanks. I don't think so though, or at least the old map I stole it from got it wrong too, or at least that's how John Speed spelled it.
    Last edited by Bohunk; 05-02-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I wonder if it has something to do with the whole 'third person' aspect of referring to royalty?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good golly, this map is filled to the brim with detail. The style of mountains is awkward to me, but I think that's probably just personal preference. Not sure about the "Majesty's" vs "Majesties" thing, but you do refer to him as "His High Majisty." Not sure if that was a typo, but I kind of like it.

/rep for your hard work

this really turned out great. Eventhough I'm not the biggest fan of the mountains, they do not spoil this at all as this one has so many details in it. I love the feeling it has...

Continued work on the mountains. At this point I think I am going to have to let them go. I am trying to achieve a certain look from 19th century maps and at this point it is probably impossible for either me or pse7.

As far as "his majesties" I reworded the cartouche so that it is not an issue. Imagine if John Speed got it wrong though, all those books that printed up that way...

Desaturated the green color, added an old paper feel to it. I guess this could be done hundred ways from this point. Let me know what ya think. I am already thinking of my next map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shegu 2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	12952  
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the mountains now, I think the bevel really helped.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast