View Poll Results: Was this tutorial useful for you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 75.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • No, because I don't use the application used.

2 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp

RobA, everything you do just turns into awesome doesn't it? Although there were quite a few grunge brushes to choose from, I guess that lets people have their own style.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Guild Apprentice

Praise

superb tutorial, this whole forum is fantastic (especially for someone who just stupidly agreed to DM a new 4e campaign for some reprobates)

This is an image I've been playing about with this evening, the original is 1280x1024

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...velerguide.jpg

Amazing ! I already feel like I rock at using GIMP.
    Thanks a lot for this great tutorial!

Hi, I'm just getting my feet wet with all the great tutorials here and I have a question.
    In the last steps of the tutorial, you make some of the text have that "rubbed away" look. I was just wondering if there is a way to link up the texture of the map to this rubbed off process. It seems logical to me that the bright points on the texture are representing areas of more wear/less stain and thus text might be more likely to be rubbed off on these sections.
    I've been playing around with layer masks (seems like this is the way to achieve this) but I can't quite figure out how to use the mask to duplicate the texture which I could then overlay on just the text and bleed the high areas away (without changing the paper look). I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks in advance!

@arjent -

Try taking a greyscale copy of the paper and pasting it into the layer mask of the text.

You might have to invert it and/or play with levels/curves to get it looking good, but it should definitely work.

-Rob A>

Ah, ok! Thanks for the help! I'm not exactly sure how to paste something into a layer mask...
    but making a second copy of the paper (with blobs and texture separate) as an overlay, then using a selection channel to cut out everything that overlapped the text. Cramming all the levels together to exaggerate the high-low (or else you can't see it) and adding heavy slur to the blobs layer to simulate spreading ink. The idea here was a handout to print, cut into 4 sections and give out as little finds all leading up to some sort of puzzle/whatnot.

This is my first ever antique scrap paper (and my first art here) and I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for the help RobA, and also for the tutorial that inspired it! Consider this part 1 in my RobA tutorial "Thanks for helping me learn" tribute series. =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment 2.jpeg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	10493  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Cool symbols.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The symbols are brushes from Deviant Art. Arcana..or Arcane brush...something like that.

I tried this tutorial and I got good results...

The map is not mine, I got it from here: http://www.mapscroll.fi/images/maanmitta_kartta.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast