View Poll Results: Was this tutorial useful for you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 75.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • No, because I don't use the application used.

2 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone,

This is an interesting method for creating an "aged parchment" look. It's a little different than the one I've been using, which is based on Butch Curry's method (see my Gimp adaptation of Curry's "Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop" video tutorials, in this same forum thread).

One question though--I have Gimp 2.6.8, and I can't find the menu/dialog for changing layer modes. In the help documentation for 2.6, it lists layer modes as being available, but I can't find them where the doc says to find them. Does anyone here that's familiar with Gimp know what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

@wisemoon: It should be the combobox at the top of the Layers window/dialog. The label is 'Mode:'

In other news, this tutorial enabled me to take what was a rather mediocre map and turn it into something that actually looks quite cool. Presentation may not be everything, but it sure does help!

http://people.eecs.ku.edu/~jciskey/U...Unlabelled.png

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Example of "aged parchment" - RobA's method, and another

Just as an example, I wanted to post a couple of pics of "aged parchment" backgrounds for maps.

The first one is from a method used by Butch Curry of Zombie Nirvana Games (this was made in the process of my ongoing adaptation of Curry's Photoshop tutorials to Gimp). [see Parchment1_Ep2.jpg]

The second one was done using RobA's excellent tutorial in this thread. Comparing the two, I like the second one just a bit better. [see Alternate_Parchment1.jpg]

I do like some of the elements from Curry's method; what I'll probably end up doing is combining the methods in some fashion, depending on the style of map I want to create.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchment1_Ep2.jpg 
Views:	3305 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	25325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternate_Parchment1.jpg 
Views:	5044 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	25326  
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Tutorial GIMP script to automate (most of) the old weathered paper tutorial by RobA

Thanks for the tutorial, I've been browsing this site for a while getting ideas and guides and thought I'd offer a little GIMP script back to the community. I pretty much automated most of the creation of the old weathered paper process. You'll have to add in any additional grunge touches to the blots layer that suites your map, but this script should take most of the grunt work out of the process. Now you just have to draw your map, go to Filters->Decor->Old Paper... then just add your grunge to the blots layer.

Enjoy

(copy the code and save as old-paper.scm in your gimp script directory)
    Code:
    ;;;    This GIMP script adds an old paper effect to the image.
    ;;;    It is based off of the tutorial by RobA at
    ;;;    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?533-Tutorial-Creating-old-weathered-paper-using-the-Gimp
    ;;;
    ;;;    Copyright (C) 2010  Mike Hogan <themikehogan@gmail.com>
    ;;;
    ;;;    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    ;;;    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    ;;;    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    ;;;    (at your option) any later version.
    ;;;
    ;;;    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    ;;;    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    ;;;    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    ;;;    GNU General Public License for more details.
    ;;;
    ;;;    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    ;;;    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    ;;
    ;; Copy this script to your ~/.gimp-2.6/scripts directory  as old-paper.scm
    ;; restart gimp or click Filters->Script-Fu->Refresh Scripts
    ;; load/create an image
    ;; click Filters->Decor->Old Paper... to start the script
    ;; Add your own custom grunge touch-ups to the Blots layer (kinda hard to automate this
    ;;   as the script doesn't know what grungy looks would look good on your image) Duplicate
    ;;   Blots layer to make it look darker
    ;; Play with different layer modes on your image to find what looks good, Burn, Multiply,
    ;;   Overlay, Darken-Only and Grain-Merge modes typically are the ones that would look good
    ;; Make sure to Merge the layers before adding anything under the map layers or the map image
    ;;   will be overlayed ontop of those layers underneath as well around the distressed areas
    ;; Enjoy your brand new^H^H^H old paper/parchment look
    ;;
    ;; Feel free to let me know of any improvements/modifications you'd like and that you did

(define (script-fu-old-paper theImage inLayer inAddBlots inDistress inSaveDistress inDistressAmount inBorderSize inPaperColor inMergeLayers inDropShadow)
    (let*
        (
            (theNewWidth (+ (car (gimp-drawable-width inLayer)) (* 2 inBorderSize)))
            (theNewHeight (+ (car (gimp-drawable-height inLayer)) (* 2 inBorderSize)))
            (theFuzzLayer (car (gimp-layer-new theImage theNewWidth theNewHeight RGBA-IMAGE "Old-Paper-Fuzz" 20 MULTIPLY-MODE)))
            (theBlotLayer (car (gimp-layer-new theImage theNewWidth theNewHeight RGBA-IMAGE "Old-Paper-Blots" 100 OVERLAY-MODE)))
            (theTextureLayer (car (gimp-layer-new theImage theNewWidth theNewHeight RGBA-IMAGE "Old-Paper-Texture" 100 OVERLAY-MODE)))
            (thePaperLayer (car (gimp-layer-new theImage theNewWidth theNewHeight RGBA-IMAGE "Old-Paper-Paper" 100 NORMAL-MODE)))
            (theSelection 0)
            (thePaperSelection 0)
            (theBrush 0)
        )
        ;init (save state/selections/undo)
        (gimp-context-push)
        (gimp-image-undo-group-start theImage)
        (set! theSelection (car (gimp-selection-save theImage)))
        (gimp-selection-none theImage)

(if (= inDistress FALSE)                ; no need to resize if we aren't distressing the border
            (gimp-image-resize theImage theNewWidth theNewHeight inBorderSize inBorderSize)
        )

;add the layers
        (gimp-image-add-layer theImage theFuzzLayer -1)
        (if (= inAddBlots TRUE)
            (gimp-image-add-layer theImage theBlotLayer 2)
        )
        (gimp-image-add-layer theImage theTextureLayer 3)
        (gimp-image-add-layer theImage thePaperLayer 4)

; BURN-MODE MULTIPLY-MODE OVERLAY-MODE DARKEN-ONLY-MODE GRAIN-MERGE-MODE all look nice on different type of maps
        (gimp-layer-set-mode inLayer GRAIN-MERGE-MODE)
        (gimp-selection-all theImage)
        (gimp-selection-shrink theImage inBorderSize)
        (if (= inDistress TRUE)
            (script-fu-distress-selection theImage inLayer 197 8 4 2 TRUE TRUE)
        )
        (if (= inSaveDistress TRUE)
            (begin
                (set! thePaperSelection (car (gimp-selection-save theImage)))
                (gimp-drawable-set-name thePaperSelection "Old Paper Selection")
            )
        )

(gimp-context-set-foreground inPaperColor)
        (gimp-edit-bucket-fill thePaperLayer FG-BUCKET-FILL NORMAL-MODE 100 255 FALSE 0 0)
        (plug-in-plasma RUN-NONINTERACTIVE theImage theTextureLayer (srand (realtime)) 2.5)
        (gimp-desaturate theTextureLayer)
        (plug-in-bump-map RUN-NONINTERACTIVE theImage theTextureLayer theTextureLayer 135 45 5 0 0 0 0 TRUE FALSE LINEAR)
        (gimp-context-set-foreground '(0 0 0))

(set! theBrush (car (gimp-brush-new "old-paper border")))
        (gimp-brush-set-radius theBrush (/ inBorderSize 2))
        (gimp-brush-set-shape theBrush BRUSH-GENERATED-CIRCLE)
        (gimp-brush-set-hardness theBrush 1)
        (gimp-context-set-brush theBrush)

(if (= inAddBlots TRUE)
            (begin
                (gimp-edit-stroke theBlotLayer)
                (plug-in-gauss-rle RUN-NONINTERACTIVE theImage theBlotLayer inBorderSize TRUE TRUE)
            )
            (set! theBlotLayer -1)
        )
        (plug-in-plasma RUN-NONINTERACTIVE theImage theFuzzLayer (srand (realtime)) 2.5)
        (gimp-desaturate theFuzzLayer)
        (gimp-brush-set-hardness theBrush 0)
        (gimp-context-set-opacity 60)
        (gimp-edit-stroke theFuzzLayer)

(if (= inDropShadow TRUE)
            (script-fu-drop-shadow theImage thePaperLayer 8 8 15 '(0 0 0) 80 TRUE)
        )

(if (= inMergeLayers TRUE)
            (let*
                (
                    (theLayerName 0)
                )
                (set! theLayerName (car (gimp-drawable-get-name inLayer)))
                (set! inLayer (car (gimp-image-merge-visible-layers theImage EXPAND-AS-NECESSARY)))
                (gimp-drawable-set-name inLayer theLayerName)
            )
        )

;cleanup (restore state/selection/undo/flush display)
        (gimp-brush-delete theBrush)
        (gimp-selection-load theSelection)
        (gimp-image-remove-channel theImage theSelection)
        (gimp-image-undo-group-end theImage)
        (gimp-displays-flush)
        (gimp-context-pop)

;return the image and the layers incase any other scripts want to use them too
        ;if merging layers, the fuzz/blot/texture/paper layers are now gone
        ;theBlotLayer will be -1 if it is turned off
        (list theImage inLayer theFuzzLayer theBlotLayer theTextureLayer thePaperLayer)
    )
    )

(script-fu-register
        "script-fu-old-paper"
        "<Image>/Filters/Decor/Old Paper..."
        "Creates an old paper effect"
        "Mike Hogan"
        "Copyright 2010, Mike Hogan"
        "August 26, 2010"
        "RGBA"
        SF-IMAGE      "image"      0
        SF-DRAWABLE   "drawable"   0
        SF-TOGGLE     "Add Blot/Grunge Layer" TRUE
        SF-TOGGLE     "Distress Paper Edge" TRUE
        SF-TOGGLE     "Save Distression to Channel" TRUE
        SF-ADJUSTMENT "Distress Amount" '(127 1 255 1 10 0 0)
        SF-ADJUSTMENT  "Distress/Border size"     '(40 1 1000 1 10 0 1)
        SF-COLOR       "Paper Colour"         '(208 193 162)
        SF-TOGGLE     "Merge Visible Layers" FALSE
        SF-TOGGLE     "Drop Shadow" TRUE
    )
    This GIMP plugin can also be found at the gimp plugin repository http://www.registry.gimp.org/node/24679
    Last edited by Hogan; 08-27-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added GIMP plugin repository link

Blog Entries

Doh! I had been threatening to do a script but then went down another path and forgot all about learning how to script. I'll give your script a whirl.

Blog Entries

Polls Closed so I cant vote, so Pluss 1!
    This guy made two good grunge brush sets: http://akisu-sama.deviantart.com/ His second set contains a liscense clause allowing any use of BOTH sets.

The current gimp (2.6. has no Distress function that I could find, but the script linked from this page (the one on the registry.gimp.org site) works fine even on a massive image!

Very well done!

Guild Novice

i've found that version of gimp i'm using, 2.8 to be precise, doesn't have the distress function either. however, using the distort function works nicely.

Thanks soooooo much - for saving me a lot of time on many projects!

Guild Novice

I have used this tutorial a couple of times now and I really like how it has turned out. I've posted one of the maps on my blog and will post another within a week or two. http://jaspersrantings.wordpress.com/.

uhu! very nice! Thanks for the tute

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast