Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC3: The first town

Post CC3: The first town

Hello,
    after following Gandwarf's tutorials I created my first small town: Greifenbrück (Griffinbridge).

It was founded due to a crossroad of two trade routes and increased in population fast. The founder, Jeromir Greif, started with a place called "Griffin's Inn" which was pulled down 47 years ago to make place for an urgently needed market hall. The inn was rebuild east of its original place, just south of the temple and is still the first place if you visit Griffinbridge...

There are many stories I can tell about this town, because it took me about a week to create it (roundabout one hour a day).

Next I will create the interiors of the important places so I can use all in coming RPG sessions.

Please comment this map so I can improve in further ones. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greifenbrück.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	12805  

Very nice layout, I like how you placed the town in the corner created by the river. The western part of the map feels a bit empty at first - thinking that we are near a river, I guess people would like to use that fertile land.

Did you use other software for creating the frame? Or is it CC3 / CD3 capable of doing that?

Well Katto, as I already said in the other thread, great first map. The layout is quite nice and there are some nice touches, like the hedges and the frame. Like Mixpengo I am curious if you created it in CD3?

I think your map is almost finished as it is, but some things you could add (not saying that you should, just something you can consider):

- Beaches to parts of the river.
    - Some market stands in the square (there are several symbols for this).
    - Maybe a few small towers to some of the larger houses.
    - The road to the southeast ends abruptly, you could smoothen it a bit (I use the same tool for this as for creating the squares).
    - Maybe add some labelling.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thank you for the feedback. The whole map is made with CD3. The frame effect is easy to achieve, if you are interested I will write a small Howto this evening.

I labeled the map first, putting the legend to the left side of the town but was not satisfied with the result. As I wrote the text I recognized that a tower was missing but it will be added.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. The whole map is made with CD3. The frame effect is easy to achieve, if you are interested I will write a small Howto this evening.
    I am always interested to learn new stuff
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

As promised I uploaded a HowTo in the tutorial section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the best thing about this town is that none of the houses get caught in the middle with no street access...almost every map in this style I see houses that have no access - so excellent job there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Back again

Here is an update of the town.
    Following your advices I added some market stands, a tower and a few fields to the western part. I think it looks better now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greifenbrück v2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	443.5 KB 
ID:	12863  

Yep, it certainly does look a lot better! The market is a nice addition.
    What is Orgrog's Turm by the way? I really like the way it looks. It's not standard symbol I think?

The only thing I am not sure I like is the explaining text. I would either put it outside of the map or give it a solid background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast