Thread: My 1º map. My world project ^^

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip My 1º map. My world project ^^

Hii. I´m working in a world and of course on his maps.

Actualiced on post 6.

Now I starting to do a global map . I use it to do the diferent regions maps.
    The world is a Fantasy one with dragon people. Each continet is for a tipe of a dragon. The center island and the next islands are for the fire dragons . The large continent is for the earth but the part on the left is for the wind. The rest lands are neutral. And the oceans are for the water dragons .

I draw it by hand but I want to redo it in photoshop. For the moment is only a sketch.
    But first i appreciate if you can help with the bugs.
    I only put mountains, rivers and lakes (maybe a lot of rivers?) I try to do the ocean currents too but i´m not sure if they are right XD

Thank you so much for all.
    Pd: Sorry for my bad english T^T If someone knows Spanish i Talk about my project inthis blog (heresuntdragones.blogspot.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mundoarkeguild.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1,015.4 KB 
ID:	12792  
    Last edited by arkenaya; 04-28-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Hey Arkenaya,

Welcome to the site.

Your map looks pretty good to me. I don't know how you're going to digitize it so I took the liberty of expanding the central image to 5000 px across and 300 dpi.

I think I missed two islands in the upper north west.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to start with so I hope its useful. Its already a better world map than some I've seen .

Have some rep!

Name:	mundoarkeguild big bw.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	12800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mundoarkeguild big clr.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	12801  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Thank you very much. I make a photo to the draw because i use a A3 paper to draw it ... T_T too big for the scaner. I want to make it bigger when i redraw it on the computer and more clear, I think when i put colours on it It will be better XD.

And thank you for the wellcome.

Blog Entries

I'm not exactly sure what it it is that I'm looking at but I like it already.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks like a really good start. I think that the ocean currents are not necessary unless you intend to do a full scale climate research project. I say, put a desert where you want it as long as it is some place that is hot. So far, so good and welcome
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you so much for the coments.

Sigurd: Wow in color too thank you ^^

Ascension. well, I want to do a full scale climate reseach project XD. I want to do a entire world not only the maps, his history, races, characers , etc.
    But thank you so much for the advice.
    Today I redraw it in photoshop, I do the coast more rougnes and add some islands . Tomorrow I will draw the mountains.

Name:	Mundo base.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	12817  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The 'continent' in the south-west is definitely interesting in shape.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good there.

But if you're doing a world map, it would be best to start thinking about Cartographic projection as early as possible. Adding it lateron will just end in tears. I suggest studying equirectangular (Plate carrée, geographic, etc.), because it is in computerised maps a lot.

Sigurd: Thanks you . I don't know if I understand you corret , sorry . You say that the color of the rivers would be diferent in each land? If it´s corretc it may be a pretty idea. The rivers colors depends on the land minerals.

Steel General: Thank you I like it too. I´m want to do something like north of canada.

Naeddyr: Thank you for the advice. Now I´m goint to try to do it . I think the equirectangular may be a good projection too in my map because I don´t have a lot of lands on polar regions.

I love the shapes of the landmasses. Take one look at it and you know it wasn't drawn by some generating programme. The shapes are so elegant and individual, they remind me of bats.

I can't wait to see how you texture this beauty. i wish I could draw maps like this already.