Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gimp Script: Hex Grid

Glad you go it working - I say your initial post and didn't get a chance to reply before you solved it!

-Rob A>

Hey Derio, this is a big help. Thanks!
    As I am new to GIMP it took me a while to figure this out, so I thought it would be helpful for others to know how to load the script. After some research I found this link:

http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/install-script-fu.html

Next, I had to figure out where the script folder is located and then simply copy the script into the folder. I did that by going edit/preferences and then scroll down to "folders" and select "script". From there it displays the folder directory. In my case it was the following:

C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

PS: using XP and Gimp 2.6

Thanks again,
    Newbie Mike

Hi Mike!

I'd suggest you not put use scripts in the installation directory, as they will get overwritten if you ever have to reinstall gimp.

There should be a second script directory (along with directories for patters, gradients, etc.) under XP located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.gimp-2.6\scripts

(where <username> is your login/account name without the angled brackets.)

This is designed so multiple users can have different resources available, as well as when upgrading (say to gimp 2. they will get copied to a .gimp-2.8 directory structure without erasing the stuff in .gimp-2.6

-Rob A>

Much needed and a huge thanks from me for it!
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Thanks, Rob! Huge help, as usual!

But, I've got an issue. Say I have a canvas at 8.5"x11" at 300 dpi. That's 2550x3300 px. If I made my hexes 300 px side-to-side, it doesn't come out to 8.5x11 hexes.

I'm trying to figure out how best to get a perfect fit of hexes on a sheet of paper...

Thanks so much for this Rob, repped and rated!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Thanks, Rob! Huge help, as usual!

But, I've got an issue. Say I have a canvas at 8.5"x11" at 300 dpi. That's 2550x3300 px. If I made my hexes 300 px side-to-side, it doesn't come out to 8.5x11 hexes.

I'm trying to figure out how best to get a perfect fit of hexes on a sheet of paper...
    Not sure what you mean, but it is probably because you need to use the maths.

If you pick 300 side to side, your side to side direction should be a multiple of 300, so the 3330 side will have exactly 11 hexes. The other direction (point to point to point) will not be - it works out to 346.41px, so you will only have 7(.361) hexes in the 2550 direction. The script makes mathematically correct hexes.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

just letting people know that it works in 2.8
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Every time I format my computer, I have to revisit this page an download this script. XD

Thanks so much, Rob!

While this script is very much excellent - am I wondering why it often produces stupid-sized files ? (I mean like, gig-sized files from 640x640 files)

While the placement process may be intensive, the end result is basically a bunch of lines - what am I not understanding/doing wrong ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast