Thread: WIP - Generic Map of Doom (+1)

Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP - Generic Map of Doom (+1)

Just a relatively simple map, made (mostly) using Ascension's Photoshop tutorial, which can be found here. It's meant to be a bit more zoomed in than his 1 pixel = 1 mile scale, and I somehow messed up the mountains, but whatevs.

I've already seen a few good places to chunk regions: the knob in the middle right, the knob on the lower right, that chunk in the upper right that fades offscreen, possibly the left middle, traveling offscreen. I'm thinking dark forest in the upper left, and since the basin near it is such an unusual formation I imagine it'd have a lot of superstition about it...perhaps it's an unknown area people don't enter? Anyway, the equator would be about even with the bottom line of the image, so this (presumably) is a relatively warm, mostly flat area. That tiny village that I swear I'll finish (that is, start) eventually should be somewhere east of one of the large north-south rivers.

So, lemme know what you think and I'll try to get a politicalesque map written up, and labels for this one, so the features have names.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MappityMap.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	13005  
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Is this the final size? At this size at least one of the rivers looks like it gets interrupted.
    I like the southern peninsula better than the northern land. The mountains to the south seem to blend in better with the terrain. The sea is a bit too cloudy for my taste.
    Keep up the work though, this is better than I could accomplish
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me. The mountains should be an easy fix...the layer style of color overlay should be a brown set to soft light but the layer itself should be set to hard light. I've done it myself a few times when I haven't mapped like this after along time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

I drew the rivers in with my tablet really lightly, so some of them did get interrupted. This map isn't so much to be pretty as just for generic reference...I keep talking about that village and I haven't considered at all the world, where it is, the climate, etc. etc, so I figured I'd scale out way too far and try it from a distance.

Most of the stylistic things (the cloudy sea, the mountains, the poor coloring) are because I didn't follow the tutorial exactly. I've got to admit, Ascension, your color choices were absolutely amazing (now that I see how hard it is to get it right), I'll have to play around with the colors to get it looking just right. We'll see what happens. If I go to fix any of it, I'll probably start over from scratch, so take two might work out better.
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, man. The colors have been a WIP since I started doing this some 6 years ago. Take two will be even better even though this one is pretty darn good (except the mountains )...the more ya do it, the easier it gets. Once you understand what each thing does, it's sort of like being able to anticipate your enemy's moves on a chess board or football field so feel free to mess around with any of the settings and make it fit what you want it to look like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps