Thread: MAY 2007 ENTRY: A Game of Pikes

Post MAY 2007 ENTRY: A Game of Pikes

King Valdric, playing gold, naturally, has won the game against Argan, his most trusted General, who (of course) let the King win. The King has succeeded by building a fortress (the cylinders) in central city, supported by his army (the coins).

This is probably a work in progress...I'm not sure if I'll have time to update it, but we'll see!

Ravs

:Edit: The map was created in PSP, Serif Drawplus and Corel Paint. It was rendered in Bryce.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pikes_172.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	340  

That is a very 'Euro' looking game. I can totally imagine playing that. Nice job.

Could you include what software you used to create it?

Thanks RPM.

Here is the next WIP for a game of pikes. I'm enjoying this.

At the moment I'm just trying to get the 3d modelling acceptable before I finish off the map. Added an improved candle, a sand-glass and a box for the pieces. Also a bump map to represent the folds on the board. The worn edges of the board were a failure, so they're going to go. The board material is supposed to be a kind of finely spun cloth which is frayed at the edges, but getting the frayed edges is proving to me more tricky than I thought.

I'm pretty happy with the elements in the scene, (although I'd like to have a pike or two in there, whether as part of the board itself or as game pieces).

The next stage is to work up the map which is still pretty sparse and needs more symbols, and probably some representational mountains and rivers.

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boardonly_389.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fourth_164.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	345  

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used an opacity map on a plane to make the frayed edges of the parchment found in the logo and wallpaper rendering (look in misc on the main menu)...

You could also throw in some sub-surface-scattering on the candle to make it look more realistic. Assuming your software supports is.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

It's getting the right pattern on the opcity map that's defeating me at the moment - I need to find the right sort of texture, I'll keep plugging away at it.

Sadly Bryce doesn't support SSS, which as you say, would have been perfect for the candle. I tried to fake it with volumetrics but the result was a bit blah.

Ravs

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

create a white image with a black border around it of about 20-30 pixels (assuming a decent size image the same aspect ratio as your parchment)...then you can use the photoshop torn edges filter to create the perfect opacity map...thats how I did the one in the logo...Depending on bryce's opacity settings you may need to reverse it...black image white border...either way, torn edges is the way to go...the filter is perfect for that. I'm not sure of a Gimp equivalent.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Yep, I know how to create one....it's finding the right pattern and getting the right touch as to how much to make transparent...I think I'm on the right track though....here's what I'm coming up with. I've also decided to ditch the crease lines as a bump and put the bump and creases in the paper in the modelling itself...this is the wip so far. It's less torn edges that I want but more of an effect of the weave showing at the edges (as this map is drawn on a fabric rather than leather or parchment). A bit like the tatty edges on a pair of jeans...

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test_map_187.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	347

Looking great! I'm curious about one element though. If the game 'board' is actually cloth, wouldn't it be more likely that it would be rolled up rather than folded? I would also imagine that it would then be stored in the box with the pieces.

Also, if it belongs to a noble perhaps all the pieces should be precious metals and gems. That would make it a 'prized' treasure of the nobles.

Hm... I think I'm going to use that idea in a game sometime.

RPM, you are absolutely right.

Which is good as I can lose the crease lines. we have a backgammon set which is a roll up one, the board is leather and rolls around the coins. I'll have a think about this.

The pieces are meant to be precious - the cylinders are gold and silver, and the coins are meant to be precious stones. I'll try to bring that out more with the lighting.

Thanks for the tips, much apprciatied!

Ravs