Thread: Howdy (I love that other people here say that, too!)

Guild Novice

Post Howdy (I love that other people here say that, too!)

Hey everybody!

I've been a lurker 'roundabout these forums for quite a while, but finally decided to register (I've procrastinated mainly so as not to have all my free time consumed, but have given up on that! ). Anyway, I've been a roleplayer and GM for a goodly number of years now (not since 1E DnD like some folks around here, but long enough), and I am additionally a major map-head, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that I love fantasy cartography. I'm not very good in the art department, but I've managed to figure out some techniques using the GIMP and Inkscape that work out pretty nice and have learned a lot more from the excellent tutorials on this site.

I create maps as I have free time and as the fancy suits me; cartography is only one of my many interests, and so I probably won't ever spend enough time to become truly good at it, but I like creating maps and talking with other people about creating maps (and RPs in general), so I figure I'll fit in well enough here.

That's probably good for an introduction. I figure I should post a map or two here just to let you know what I'm interested in. Here's a couple that I've been toying about with recently. The first is an encounter-scale map that has yet to be filled in with tokens; I was experimenting with different textures and so forth to see what I liked. It is very much a wip. The second is one I drew freehand last night in the GIMP in just a few hours, so it's not very polished. I was thinking about different ways to do pseudo-contour maps, and decided to do a rough test of a free-hand method, and the map you see is the result of a couple of hours messing about with that.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't normally do maps with a hex grid (or any grid, for that matter)-- these are my first two with hexes. I've been experimenting with them over the last couple of weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grass-Cave_wip.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	12845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopoTest_wip.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	12846  
    Last edited by EldritchNumen; 04-30-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Have some 'rep' for uploading a map in your intro post *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave