Thread: Dar al-Pelor

Guild Apprentice

Post Dar al-Pelor

Here's my first finished GIMP project. It's for my home D&D campaign world. It is a synthesis of the ancient/historical/mythological eastern Mediterranean and the Points of Light D&D core setting.

To make the map, I used a lot of texture layers from Spiral Graphics along with layer masks. I'm not totally thrilled with some of the region labels on the map but I'm comfortable calling this finished for now.

My next project is to zoom in on smaller areas relevant to my current game to add more detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cities.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	12867  

Looking good but maybe try breaking up the edges of the textures a bit more...the deliniations are bit hard, unless that's the look you're going for, of course.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looking good but maybe try breaking up the edges of the textures a bit more...the deliniations are bit hard, unless that's the look you're going for, of course.
    How would I go about doing that?

I'm not a gimp user, but try using a layer mask and either soft black brush with a low opacity along the edges or a cloud filter on top of the layer mask, using a white brush to fill in the central bits you want to remain opaque....shout if you'd like more detail on this.

The first image is a hard edged texture fill. I've made a selection and filled it with a mountain/rock texture against a background terrain texture.

In the second image I've used a layer mask and a soft edged black brush to blur the edges.

In the third image I've used a 'jiggle filter' (free download, check the editable map tutorial in my sig for the address)

In the fourth image I've made a layer mask isolating the mountains and then blurred it using a gaussian blur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hardedge.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	609.8 KB 
ID:	12894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softedge.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	12895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jiggled edge.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	12896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaussian edge.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	12897  

Guild Apprentice

That should be very helpful for future projects. Thank you.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll second Ravs on the transition between terrains.

Other than that, nicely done.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.