Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avast, me new hearties!

Post Avast, me new hearties!

Hail, and well met, illustrious Cartographer's Guild!
    I've been browsing this website for a day or three now and my mind has been BLOWN.
    I'm a 25-year-old lad who DMs D&D. I work from 11pm to 7am at a hotel, so I generally get about 4-6 hours every night in which to work on my campaigns, but I have no available computers at work to speak of, so my medium of choice is a SPIRAL DRAWING NOTEBOOK and CRAYOLA COLORED PENCILS.
    It's not the most refined technique, but my players never see most of my maps anyway.*
    My favorite part of map-making is making sure everything makes sense in a somewhat-realistic way, even in a magical setting. Once you pass a well-concealed trap, you're not likely to find any stupid kobolds, there can be no island with nothing but carnivores on it, and intelligent races tend to live amongst their own kind(it makes finding restaurants and bathrooms much easier).
    So salutations once again, and thanks for having me. I'll be on my best behavior.*

*lies

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild. Poke around and see what interests ya and have some fun. Chime in as often as you wish, just try to be positive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the guild!

I Still have Crayola pencils specifically for Maps
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Doesn't matter what you use, even a sharpie on the inside of an empty cereal box can be used to make something cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Ah! Another person who sweats the small stuff. Campaigns take forever just trying to figure out how the ecology works, who eats whom, how the food source gets renewed, etc. etc.

Spiral drawing notebook + crayola colored pencils sounds like a pretty awesome combination to me. I mean, for all the software I have, my favorite method for drawing large-scale maps is a trusty mechanical pencil and a sheet of paper. I can only imagine that color helps to flesh out a lot of the details that, on mine, look kinda lacking.

I really want to see some of these maps, and especially the explanations for their realism.

P.S. It's a conspiracy: kobolds are smarter than they say they are, that's why they have epic traps.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

P.S. It's a conspiracy: kobolds are smarter than they say they are, that's why they have epic traps.
    I assumed that kobolds just recklessly move into abandoned dungeons and crypts for the hell of it.

Guild Apprentice

I assumed that kobolds just recklessly move into abandoned dungeons and crypts for the hell of it.
    FOR RENT: Dungeon, located central to small village for raiding, a bit of a fixer-upper, but you'll love it right away! With the right decor, you can make the dank, rough stone walls just whisper warmth and comfort!
    Asking price: 50cp/month, paid to White Dragon Apartments, Inc.
    Beware, small chance of TPK by heroes.

Note: A Gelatinous Cube moves through the entire facility once per day. Guests and Residents risk being digested.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Awesomely funny, fantasy want-ads.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

You've inspired me, haha. Have a want ad!

And hey, you could use the gelatinous cube as a selling point! Sure, it'll kill you - but it'll also keep your floors really, really clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (41).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	763.6 KB 
ID:	12938  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast