Thread: Tavor - a CWBP city

Post Tavor - a CWBP city

Joy! I had virtually the whole day free for mapping, so I went for a style I've never done before with a scale I've never done before either.

This map is somewhat by way of apology to Valarian for not finishing the town in his CWBP area which I was mapping for last month's challenge - so I chose another one and started afresh.

I was going for a cartoony illustrative style and a regional scale which took in a few towns where the towns had some definition and were inbetween being dots or full scale detailed maps. Lots of fiddling and it took a lot longer than I thought it would to do.

I used my old friend the 'jiggle' filter to break up the towns and lots of layer masks and layer styles and also a little brushwork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tavor.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	587.1 KB 
ID:	12931  

Blog Entries

Great stuff. I like it a lot. Annoys me a bit that you've rattled this off in a day when mine's taken me weeks and weeks and I haven't finished yet. :S

Very nice map.
    Last edited by Ramah; 05-03-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling

Praise

This is a beautiful map, Ravells!
    I'm stunned, too, that you created it in just one day! That's incredible!
    Btw, did you ever look up what Tavor is in real life?

Very nice. The towns are a bit large though, but it's not a problem as those are mixtures of real looking and symbolic ones. The next map with this style will come even faster as now you have the textures and colors and all ready.
    When did you say the next one was coming out?

Lol! Thanks Pasis! I'm working on another style of mapping at the moment, but in vector for the rpgtonight competition, but I do want to come back to this. I spent a an hour or two trying to get some convincing fields but couldn't get there so I ditched them totally.

The thing that took longest to find was a method for making the forests and getting those 'crinkly edges to them' - I couldn't do that in layerstyles (if you can find a way, do let me know), so this map is not so easily editable, but I know which filters to run now to get the effect. It's still not perfect, though. I should learn how to use actions in photoshop to make the process quicker still.

As you say, the scale is way off. The scale bar should be 1/4 mile in total length, not 10 miles - only saw that after I posted the map and was wondering who would notice!

Your one hell of an artist Ravs, just an awsome map!

Btw love the border esp.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Joy! I had virtually the whole day free for mapping, so I went for a style I've never done before with a scale I've never done before either.
    .... you produced this in one day?!?

/sigh ... I'm not worthy. 14 hours later in a day that I had *completely* free for mapping and I have ... a coastline.

Beautiful map.