Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groenwoud (City Designer 3)

Post Groenwoud (City Designer 3)

--------------------
    EDIT 04-05-2009
    Due to constructive criticism in this thread I deleted the old version of this map and uploaded a new version with some minor tweaks
    --------------------

Another one bites the dust... and I am quite pleased with how this one turned out.

The city of Groenwoud
    Groenwoud (Greenwood) is a town that was founded near the largest forest in the world. It has seen hundreds of years of logging and a lot of the once proud forest has dissappeared. The wood was either launched into the river that flows to the Valley or transported by wagon or horse. Lumber camps are located all around the city. The city is heavily industrialised and has several watermills.

Groenwoud was never a happy place to reside. Conditions were harsh - it's winter most of the time of the year - and the work there was very dangerous. That's why the wizards sent a lot of slaves, although there were also large classes of freemen and citizens. No food can be grown due to the climate, so everything has to be imported.

With the forests in the Valley itself rapidly dissappearing Groenwoud became more and more important. The city has seen a lot of conflict between ruling wizards and it was even pillaged a few times. As the city can be easily cut off from the Valley, it has also seen more than a dozen famines.

It was in this city that a revolution started, that eventually swept through the Valley and ended the reign of the wizard lords.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groenwoud4_final.jpg 
Views:	1635 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	13017  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 05-04-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Geez, you really churn this stuff out. Didn't you just finish another massively detailed city map just the other day?

Really nice work, as always. But what is the weird amorphous mass labeled at 7? It's labeled Staging Area, but I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, I'd rep you but, alas, I must spread the love first.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    Geez, you really churn this stuff out. Didn't you just finish another massively detailed city map just the other day?
    Haha, I guess...

Really nice work, as always. But what is the weird amorphous mass labeled at 7? It's labeled Staging Area, but I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.
    The staging area is where all the logs are gathered, before they are cut into planks or thrown into the water to be transported to the Valley. If someone knows a better name, I am certainly up for suggestions
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work Gandwarf, though the logs do seem to be a bit large (but that might just be me )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Nice work Gandwarf, though the logs do seem to be a bit large (but that might just be me )
    Yeah, I guess I will have to change the logs in the water, but that's for another time
    The piles of logs on the land turned out all right I think.

The staging area is where all the logs are gathered, before they are cut into planks or thrown into the water to be transported to the Valley. If someone knows a better name, I am certainly up for suggestions
    Ooooooh, okay. Now I see. I agree that perhaps the logs are a tad big. Unless they live near Lothlorien

Ok, I know this is supposed to be a finished map, but the logs are bothering me. How is this for size then? The logs should be pretty tall and be bigger than most of the houses and huts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	12970  

I think that's much better but the drop shadow might be too much.

What about a floating fence\boom to help coral them into the harbor? Without lumberjacks, they seem to sort of magically float to where they're wanted. A thin dock\restraint might seem more realistic.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-03-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Great idea Sigurd. I will tinker some more with the effect of the logs and add a dock from where people could direct the logs. It's a pretty fast flowing river though, so the logs should generally just carry downstream.

And here I thought those were rafts of logs bound together in the first map to reduce the likelihood of theft and keep some of the singles from sinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast