Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	37589

transverse mercator!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transmerc.gif 
Views:	322 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	37590
    Last edited by drow; 08-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    >>< drow ><<

Guild Novice

If I were to make a map using Drow's fractal world generator - would I be able to use it commercially? I'm writing a book, and hope to use it as part of my world building tools - that might get thrown in with other materials.. I suppose I'd need to ask, if the results of my seed in the generator would be copyrightable by me, and or.. if I can have permission to use it?
    ((I quite found the generator through Google, and was surprised and elated that he(?) is part of the Cartographers Guild that I'd joined some months ago!))

I like the realistic results that are gathered on the edges of the continents, and they look far more organic than other programs etc that I've tried (Including, drawing them by hand.. it looked like child's play) lol.

I've been working on the map for a few hours now, and this is what I've come up with.. (Lets see if I can upload the map!)

[Add] I added a few more hours of work on the map. The only portions of the map that I think are left from the generator are the continent shapes and placement (for the most part). I was thinking I would have the water texture showing through, but it's been replaced entirely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aeras-DROWGENERATOR-2.png 
Views:	2705 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	48530
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aeras-DROWGENERATOR.png 
Views:	585 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	48516  
    Last edited by SteamKat; 09-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.

sorry, i haven't had much time to check in here lately. nor do i recall if i've answered your query in email before now or not. regardless, any results of the fractal world generator are completely yours to use as you see fit. go do awesome things.
    >>< drow ><<

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

It seems as though donjon usually makes pangaeas, changing the water level doesn't help because it just ends up creating archipelagos from the pangea. I'm not sure how I would be able to get a generation with multiple continents with at least 3 totally isolated continents or continent clusters. I'm need three separated landmasses for a RPG campaign And i'm unsure how to get these three totally isolated cultural areas.

yeah... you can get that sometimes, but only if you're really lucky.
    fractal algorithms aren't intended to model earth-like plate tectonics.
    >>< drow ><<

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I use this tool in my tutorial with Paint.net in creating your world. I could make a map without this tool, but it wouldn't nearly be as exacting. I wish I could setup my own c compiler so I wouldn't overuse his site.

Blog Entries

it is not an online html page
    but for a more "earth like" there is the old "FractlPlanet"
    -- the code really NEEDS a update
    fracplanet
    https://github.com/ldo/fracplanet

I made a fantasy map generator for a school project a few years ago that is tectonic plate based. It can generate continental divides, continental rifts, island chains, peninsulas, ect. I'm continuing to update it and add new features. You can see examples or download it from http://jeheydorn.github.io/nortantis/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12