Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oakvale

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that my recommendations must be followed. I've seen spring-fed ponds (don't remember how many of those didn't have at least an outlet, but I guess it's possible). Even if the pond were in definate river-violation territory, the map is still mox404's province, his to do with as he pleases. From my viewpoint, I find a pond connected to a river system more aesthetically pleasing than a landlocked one. Again, I apologize, and if, as has happened before, the cartographer chooses to ignore my recommendation, for whatever reason, that's ok. It was just my .02, nothing more. Pretty much everything I say shouldn't be taken any more seriously than that.

_______
    ok, I hope that didn't sound like a rant or a tirade, I really do like the mapCHEERS,
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's no big deal Feral
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Love the layout of this town.

Considering the needs of the all the people in the town its quite likely that the pond just gets drunk up before it can flow anywhere else. Spring water vs river water - no contest.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

First, thanks for the comments and suggestions. And now I'd like clear up a question or two. Gandwarf, I do use CD3 to get the basic layout, roads, rivers, lakes ect. I then recreate the basic layout in Illustrator and add the fields. Next, I bring it all into Photoshop and add the building ,which I also created in Photoshop, and add textures and effects. Definitely more work, but I thinks it's worth it in the end.

As for the cliffs, I have never attempted cliffs or any type of mountain in CD3, so I have no version with cliffs to show. I had the idea when experimenting with making hills in Photoshop.

Gandwarf I liked the idea about a second river and waterfall. I am working on that and will post that version when I am finished.

Ravells thanks of the great idea about the road to the castle. I have incorporated that idea in the newest version, and will post after I am finished with the waterfall idea from gandwarf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12