Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yitheria [WIP]

Wip Yitheria [WIP]

Hello there, I've been lurking these parts for about a week now absorbing tidbits of information and have started work on my first map, in photoshop, or ever for that matter.

What we have below is the beginnings of the eastern continent of the world I'm developing. So far I've spent the most time on the water, which I feel I've got looking quite nice. The texture down on the land at the moment is a semi-place holder, I'll decide whether to keep it or not once I get some mountains, forests, and deserts down on top of it. The scale is (1 square = 50 miles).

I'm not too confident or set on anything in this map so I am happy to hear all criticisms and suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EasternContinent.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	917.5 KB 
ID:	12804  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

here is some rep for posting a map in your first post

As a start this ain't half bad. one suggestion for the future would be to hide the grid, or tone it down, when you post the map. it is a bit strong and overpowers the stuff underneath.

If you haven't already, check out the tutorial Forum for other pointers. Will watch to see where this goes.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So far so good I say. I might suggest to make the pattern on the land smaller but, as you say, we'll have to wait for the mountains and forests and such before knowing for sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

...as has become my habit have some more rep for uploading a map in your first post *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The first thing is in place - the water *does* look quite nice!
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice textures. The water one is the better of the two but I think the land texture is fine as well. The grid is maybe a little "heavy", but for a WIP that's perfectly fine. Not much else to say about the map until you breathe more "life" into it, so, go and cartographe Mr Orion Sir! :-)

And welcome aboard, too!

Well, work on the map is slow coming as a result of it being "that time of year" as far as school goes.

I put some dirt spots on the ground to add color, and added in the deserts, which I'm particularly proud of. Then I started on mountains, and began to realize that the amount of detail I was putting into this map was a bit much for my (1.7GHz 2Gig Ram) laptop, so I'll be putting off this style of map until I get a new computer in about a month or so.

That being said, here's what I had going so far... now it's time for me to start trying with a new style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easterncontinent3 copy.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	13044  

The deserts look fantastic, you should be proud of them.
    Not a big fan of the mountains... at the moment they seem to have a repeating texture going on as well. But this is probably because you "abandoned" the map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Deserts - GOOD!

Mountains - Not so good . Definitely need to do something about the patterning. Either increase the size of the file you're using as a pattern or up the magnification of the pattern on the layer.

Other than that, it's coming along nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With Photoshop, the main culprits for hogging memory are patterns, number of layers, layer styles, and overall size (including resolution) with size being the biggest hog. I'm sure that transparent pixels on a layer has some factor as well but I haven't yet identified it to be true, more of a hunch. That being said, you might want to try something more of a hand-drawn/line art style as it requires fewer layers, fewer colors, etc. so that way you can save the memory. At any rate it looks pretty good aside from the mountains pattern. Give a look at some of the tuts here to try different styles.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast