Thread: Rough Draft

Guild Novice

Post Rough Draft

I've been drawing maps for some time, usually I scrap them as soon as they don't seem right. This is my first time to show one of my maps on here and I want to hear any critiscm. This map to me is my best, considering the layout and basic geography of the map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	12940
    Brown=Mountains
    Gray=Hills/Rough Terrain
    Green=Flat-ish

-The Gray at the base of the NW peninsula is a plateau.
    -The Eastern part of the Western mountains at the bottom of the map has the rain-shadow effect and the 2 rivers there are fed by glaciers, this area will be relatively dry but not a desert.

The Rivers aren't permament, I probably will change them as the land develops.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fine to me, I can follow it easily. Rivers are good as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Considering what you worked with it turned out fine. You certainly do a better job than me once I start breaking out the pencils

I am more of a fan of digital maps though. It's a lot easier to change stuff in them.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very intriguing coastline; I like it.

And as I see you have posted a map and are still blue-pipped, thou art bonked! Welcome to the guild.

-asp

Guild Novice

My goal is to add more detail to the terrain than start figuring out the climate of the regions. I also plan to draw a compass because at the moment that NW peninsula is suppose to point straight north but I drew the mountains at the base of the paper to give me more room. I'm not sure if its in the northern or southern hemisphere, if southern I might do 180 flip on the map. Its going to be far from the equator, most of the area will have mild summers and mild/severe winters, similar climate to northern china, europe north of the mediterranean, north USA.

I also plan to draw close ups of a general region to show off its details, I plan on using this map for a story. The only region that I've drawn yet is that lake and island in the middle of the mountains of the northern peninsula.

Guild Novice

I need river polices help, all 3 of my major rivers' mouths are near elevated terrain. I was wondering how would I work out the deltas, I'm going to call the rivers, river west, central and east.

East River cut through the mountains and created a canyon, it goes into a relatively flat area, this will be my sediment deposit area. It will be typically swampy/marshy, the rest of the river will be lightly braided because I don't think the mouth would form a proper delta. On the other side of the mouth the flat area I am thinking of making it a wetlands area because the river would probably deposit sediment over there.

Central River has probably enough room to form a proper delta, but the way I drew the coastline it doesn't have a delta shape. I am wondering if I should change the coastline or make it an inland delta similar to the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta.

West River after emerging with the Plateau river system will be really heavy with sediment. It will be braided all the way down from the lake in the elevated areas. Was wondering if I should do an estuary similar to the Amazon/Rhine?