Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Greetings

Hello tharr, I found this site in my quest for learning how to make some snazzy military maps, for some game i play. I found i wanted that nice General feel of looking at a map, with all my units positions, and those of the enemy neatly presented

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

*salute*

Sir. Welcome Sir.

*end salute*

Best way to learn is to post something and let use be your guide.

What software do you use?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

GIMP:

And im a total noob, it`s quite overwhelming...and i`ve no idea how to start....xD

Basically what i have is a world map, with different regions, etc. And i want to insert military symbols, to signify unit types and numbers

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/11-4/symbols.htm

However, i can`t even figure that out. Though it SHOULD be VERY easy. At the moment i am just aiming to making that happen, a strategic scale overview of my forces if you will.

I plan to progress to "plan maps" eventually, that show routes of movement, and what positions my troops posess etc.

So the question is, is it possible to learn this art?

if you want to use a map that's symbolic like that, I'd suggest you download inkscape...vector drawing programmes are much more effective at making and combining shapes. you can also use vector and raster together....make your map in the raster and then bring it into the vector to put your symbols on.

And if i already have the map, and only need to put in symbols?

EDIT: This might not be directly relevant to this here thing, but is there a way to create a sort of interactive map, where i don`t have to "edit" the picture to change the symbols around, but can just kind of drag them around freely on the map? and possibly insert arrows to show movements?

(Yes, im asking for the "lazy mans" solution)
    Last edited by Snowball; 05-03-2009 at 06:08 PM.

I believe dragging the symbols can be done in GIMP. This month's challenge deals with maps that have those draggable icon qualities (if I understand VTT correctly), and I believe Torstan has shown maps with Draggable icons or tokens (on a different scale). If I recall, the suggetion in GIMP was to assign a layer to the icon you wanted to move, but keep that layer small (just large enough to hold the icon's image). Then, by selecting that layer and utilizing the move tool (four arrows in the tool box) you can drag it around. The problem, though, is that each layer adds to the file size, and I imagine you are talking about a large number of mobile units. It might be worth trying, with the unit layers being small it may not increase file size as much as I think. Look around, make a couple more posts (at 5 posts you'll be able to send and recieve private messages). I think Torstan's icons were in his dungeon tiles thread here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4721. In fact, VTT forum is one I rarely look at but you might be very interested in. Good luck, happy mapping, and don't forget to post something soon, I'd like to know what solutions you come up with, and see the results.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Il try...something xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast