Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A world without name

Guild Novice

Map A world without name

I've begun to design a World some years ago, based on a story I'm writing.
    There is no name to the area in the attached pictures, but it's planned too.

It was first drawn on paper, scanned, converted to inkscape and exported to gimp. I'm using mouse and tablet to draw layers on it.

The first version is the physical map, the second one the symbolical map. They are still lacking details.

I find some fantastic inspirations from the maps on this forum, so I hope to get new ideas for my map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monde_carte9.png 
Views:	673 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	12953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monde_carte12.png 
Views:	339 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	12954  

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Very pretty. I like the physical layer! Is that all brush and artistic impression or did you use a mechanical process?

Your map seems like a very evocative patch of land for stories and adventures. I'm curious to see it develop.

Have some reputation. You're in a rare club with more reputation than posts .

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Guild Novice

thank you for your welcome and comments.

For the physical map, if I remember well, I've made the mountains with inkscape, separating the levels with different colors.

Then I exported the map to gimp and started to use the smudge tool to melt the parts together.

I've used a gaussian blur to finish mixing.

I've processed like this several times with several layers and different filters, which I merged together after a while (because the file was getting pretty huge, around 40 Mb)

Guild Novice

I hadn't worked on this map until recently.

I've begun to add some roads and towns, and to define some names for them. I've also added a few more vegetations and darkened the mountains.

I hope to finish to populate it soon. The letters will have a shade of white around them so it will be more readable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carte15..jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	22622  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

2 minor things: the ocean looks purple and the roads should wiggle and meander. Otherwise, I think it looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Really nice work! I also think that roads should not be straight; it would have more charm .

And that’s true this map seems very evocative of a story. I love also your physical map

Guild Novice

Hello,

after a quite long hiatus, I'm back with some news.
    First, I took into account some of your advices, in particular about the ugly straight lines. So I made them more natural.

Then, even if I still want to work more on this map, I'd like to include in the creation more details such as towns and buildings. So I've begun to rethink the overall map generation. I'm a contributor to openstreetmap, and I like the program called JOSM, which allow to create and edit streets, roads, areas... This way I can zoom in and out without being limited by the resolution of the bitmap. I can also design the map, and alter the rendering afterwards (using a CSS-like syntax).

It was also difficult to find a program to convert the map without creating a complex openstreetmap-like database. I found ceyx being the perfect tool for this.

Here is the result (the version below):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carte17.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	37185

It doesn't look as good as the first version at the moment, but I hope to improve it in the near future.

Just for fun, a more modern looking version, using the default CSS (some items are missing):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monde_carte17b.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	37186

I'll post the full sources I used if some people are interested.
    Last edited by farvardin; 07-17-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I've heard of JOSM and OpenStreetMap, but never done anything with them. This is looking good though.

I disagree with the previously-expressed sentiment against straight roads. The Romans built theirs arrow-straight, so if you're looking for a similar civilization you might want straight roads at least in lowland areas.
    I am a geology nerd.

Guild Novice

Hello,

I haven't worked much on this topic, but I made a video recently, showing some possibilities with openstreetmap tools such as glosm and josm :

I made also a zoomable map with the leaflet js library: http://anamnese.online.fr/carte/leaflet.html
    It's possible to add custom markers with pop-up informations. It's at an early stage at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast