Thread: Hey, looking to learn some stuff about making maps

Post Hey, looking to learn some stuff about making maps

Hey, I've been drawing maps for a while, but none as good as most of the ones I've seen on this site... the maps I've attached are ones I've made over the past week, nothing fancy but an indicator of my current 'skill'... they were made in the Paint.NET freeware program, drawn with a tablet. If anyone has any tips/specific topics I can go to for making world maps, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Card Map.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	12963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obiseoia map.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	12964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ranwal Map.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	12965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	von Agathe map - political.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	12966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mythranwal map.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	12968  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well you came to the right place to learn about mapping

gotta say that posting a map or two in your first post is a good way to start off here so have some rep

We have a few tutorials here for Paint.Net, but the ideas and some, if not most, of the techniques given in the other tutorials will translate over with a bit of fiddling too. Don't be shy to ask questions, cause we are not shy about offering advice .

One thing that we are a bit picky about around here on the larger regional and world maps is the rivers. I notice that a few of your continents have water systems that span from one ocean to another. While the canal in Card works I a, not too sure about the others. Hard to tell until you put some mountains.

Looks good so far. You should start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread and we will have you finishing these maps in no time. With lots of pointers along the way.

Paint.Net is not one of the most used programs here, and it is nice to see more people using it, so if you have any pointers for any users following you, please post a tutorial or two yourself.

Like I said, this is a great resource for mapping so look around, participate, and post your maps as you go. Welcome and enjoy
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Aside from the river anomalies these are good, wouldn't change a thing. Clear and easily viewed and easy to follow. Reminds me a bit of the old "Nobunaga's Ambition" game on the Sega...good times, good times. Welcome and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys =)
    I had no idea about the river anomalies until now... nice thing to know (now I know rivers flow down mountains, I used to think they come from oceans... and I"m going to be majoring in a natural science, shame on me). I'm actually working on another map right now for a fantasy novel I started writing a year or two ago that I decided to pick up again, using the tectonic plate tutorial on this site (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2238). These maps are actually for an online RP site that I'm drawing the maps for... I recycled a lot of names from my original drawn map for the novel I mentioned earlier.
    Hopefully I'll be done and can post it today =)

Again thanks for the nice introductions. Nice to be here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Have some 'rep' for uploading maps in your intro post. *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Congrats Korash...you've been deputised!

Another river policeman....will it never end?

Welcome, Ironmetal! Looking forward to seeing those maps textured!

If you're after a more graphic look as with the coloured map, check out the four colour theory if you're not familiar with it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

OH noooooooos!!!!!!!

I'm draaawn to the daaaark siiiide!!!!!

I'sis an oshiffer now, guesh I will hasfto shtop dwinkin nows. *hick*

Thanks Rav t'is an honor to be counted among such illustrious company!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First order of business as a new officer is to make a map with bad rivers Then comes the hazing. Then the wimmens.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps