Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My world in creation: fygl

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

This is another satellite image i put togeather this morning for the landfall &
    first colony area on the planet, im using this image to create a map (original res is 4000X2529 px).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	col-surface3.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	587.4 KB 
ID:	14623  

This is gorgeous, really what I'm hoping to do with my own map. How did you get your map into Google Earth?

Second update on he above map:

Im also doing one or 2 digital paints for insets to give an idea of surface conditiond though its time consuming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	col-surface2900.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	14632  

Stunning work zhar2, have some rep.
    When looking at your latest update I felt myself dreaming away... imagining being a part of the colonization of that world. So much to explore...
    Very cool!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's really awesome! You should do a tutorial for noobs like me

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFox View Post
    That's really awesome! You should do a tutorial for noobs like me
    Agreed, I'd love a tutorial for this style of things

Well if people want one i guess i can do one, but its rather simple, just one of the main things to rember when trying to get photorealism is that earth is not the blue,brown,green world, it is infact the blue,brown, GREY world & if you sample the above map i removed all the green that i could remove and its basically reds, yellows & greys (some grays are at the extreme yellows where it starts to change to green).

Blog Entries

Wow theres a lot going on there that I could comment on but ill restrain myself to more important bits.

We had a galactic / solar system type map challenge recently which you might like to check out and either of your two I would have voted for. They are first class. I don't know why you crossed over the lines to the legend in first map but its all laid out in sequence in the second.

The antialiasing is very nice in all your work. I guess thats from the high res that your using. I thought that there was some hint of illustrator / inkscape in there because of the neat lines then I changed my mind and went for a 3D app. Is it all 3DMax or similar then ?

I like satellite maps too and I write some stuff to make them. The erosion in your land mass looks like a wilbur but the erosion on the mountains looks like something else. Also the lowlands seem to be done by a 3rd method but I cant be sure. The result is terrific. If your able to just slightly tone down the river start (mountainous regional bits) then it would look more realistic but probably less useful since at satellite range you cant see small rivers. I like the flow of silt out to see too.

The labeling of the world going from almost transparent large text up to more opaque white small text is something I haven't seen for a while. I think I remember that Zaon maps doing this and its a really cool way to do it.

I will look at your green / grey thing and take some notes there. Thanks for showing and have some rep !

EDIT -- are you able to post a small section of some of that land at full res. Zooming it up its still fine detail in there at pixel level. Just curious to see how far you take it to.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Awesome Work!
    I want to play in whatever campaign you use that for.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast