Thread: Sup (had to be different, howdy was taken)

Post Sup (had to be different, howdy was taken)

Howdy, I'm bachi (I know it says xbachix, I had registered under bachi too but my yahoo mail didn't get the e-mail for activation. wasn't in my spam filter either). I play my fair share of dungeons and dragons and enjoy drawing buildings for campaigns as well as the occasional map however I don't like how crude my drawing skills are. On the other hand it's not important enough and too time consuming to go out and actually take a class on how to draw to improve my own skills. Right now I'm also in a financial bind so buying the software for drawing is also proving difficult.
    Does anyone have any recommendations on any free software I may use to build maps on my computer.
    I am in the middle of moving, when it is complete I'll try to upload some buildings that I drew some time ago as well as some of my older maps.
    Currently this is the only one I have available, sorry. It has been quite some time since I drew this picture, but I'm not sure if my skills have improved much.
    Thank you for your time and I love everything I see here, it's all really cool.

Bachi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cachamer.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	12971  

Alright. Your question is one of very few points of contention within the guild. When I posted a similar question Steel General (may fortune smile on him) recommended GIMP, which is free. There are others which are also free, and I'm certain other guild members will chime in.

Welcome to Guild!
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Regarding software - As Feralspirit already mentioned, GIMP is free and can do many/most of what Photoshop can do (some things better). There is a large group of GIMP users in residence here and a couple of them quite skilled in the various scripting languages available for it.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention good old MS-Paint, there are a couple of members who have done wonderful maps with it.

Also Paint.Net, again a couple of members use this. I personally know little about it.

If you want to spend some money CC3/CD3/DD3 is very popular with members.

Hope that helps...

Also since you uploaded a map in your very first post, have some 'rep' *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome Bachi. I can recommend both Gimp and Inkscape - preferably together, they fill each other's shortcomings. Both are free.

I'd heard that both were difficult to learn, but I've picked up the basics of each in a few weeks - a few days, really.

I'm in the kindergarten drawing school myself, but I find these apps practically draw the stuff for me. I tend to draw all the squares and circles with Inkscape and then colour them in with Gimp.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the assistance. I have begun to settle down at my new location and will hopefully begin drawing maps soon. I look forward to constructive criticism on my future maps. It is very nice meeting you all.