Thread: The Isles of Cruach

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

Map The Isles of Cruach

I wasn't too sure where to post this.

This map is one that my kid brother wanted me to do for him for a Castles and Crusades game he was going to run. There isn't a whole lot to say about it really - other than I did it all in Photoshop.

C&C are greatly welcome and appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map - Wes World - 01.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	12993  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice, I like the compass rose and border.

My only nit-pick would be that the style of forest you used doesn't seem to 'mesh' with the rest of the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ya know - the forest thing has always been a complaint of my own. For my money, when I am doing game maps, utility is of big concern. So I want to know elevations and physical characteristics of terrain - but I ALSO want to know vegetative states - i.e. whether or not there is a forest. I haven't figured out how to convey both on one map yet. Any suggestions that you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Are the mountains hand-drawn?
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katerek View Post
    Ya know - the forest thing has always been a complaint of my own. For my money, when I am doing game maps, utility is of big concern. So I want to know elevations and physical characteristics of terrain - but I ALSO want to know vegetative states - i.e. whether or not there is a forest. I haven't figured out how to convey both on one map yet. Any suggestions that you have would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Maybe they would mesh more if you lowered the opacity on the stroke, maybe blurred it a little. Maybe a slight change in the hue of the forest would help too. Looks a little cartoony as it is.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Isomage - Yep. The whole map is entirely hand-drawn. Well...via the mouse anyway. I am no longer able to draw anything like this with an actual pencil and paper - my arthritis is such that holding a pen or pencil for longer than a few minutes is excruciating; but using a wheel mouse allows my hand to relax more.

Ramah - I wish I knew more what you meant. The term 'stroke' throws me. I use photoshop, but I am entirely self taught - in other words I just installed the program and tore at it through trial and error - I have never actually made the time to trudge through tutorials or whatnot (though I DO intend to).

I do agree with you though about the whole cartoony thing though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Stroke is usually referring to the outline of an object/shape - so for your trees it would be the darker green you used to make the general shape of the forests.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.