Thread: old style WIP map using new wacom tablet: comments?

Post old style WIP map using new wacom tablet: comments?

hey, i've been busy working so haven't posted any maps lately. here's a new map i've been toying with using my brand new wacom pad. how did i ever work without one of these, i don't know. anyway, take a look. it's an old school ancient cartography inspiration. let me know what you think, and if there's anything else you would do. i'm still working on the woods for this and am trying a few various techniques. anyway, take a look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vastos_205.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	346  

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

I like the line work on your moutains. I think you could get them to really pop if you shaded them with a little more emphasis on light source. Putting the shading on the right hand side in this case would make them stand out well.

I'm not sure about the drop shadow on the coastline.I'd like to give some suggestions, but I'd like to know what graphics software you are using first.

And I agree. The Wacom pen is a totally different experience than a mouse, and I couldn't do 90% of the stuff I do without it.

I agree with Keith on the mountains issue: if you're going for an ancient, hand-drawn feel, let the line work carry the outlines and shadows alike, using low opacity/fill as only a slight emphasis. I might even put the fill/shadows on another layer & play with the smudge tool on them. (Assuming you are using photoshop/gimp/etc.)

You may also want to think about "turning off" the hex grid for now; it may be just me but I find if I draw on the grid my work tends to be influenced by it--usually making it more "gamey" vs. holistic. That may be just me, though.

Ditto on the Wacom--I now can't believe I ever did maps using the mouse!! Best 90 bucks I ever spent!

Great start, and I can't wait to see the next incarnation!!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Another ditto on the Wacom. I use a Graphire4, and love it. I really like the "calligraphy" style coast lines you did, but I could see that as not really lending itself well to additional shading in the future.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.