Thread: [WIP] Yet to be named large regional map

Default [WIP] Yet to be named large regional map

https://i.gyazo.com/b82d2209cab46b99...2b3e1f5219.png

So this is my first attempt at digital mapping. I had been using Adobe Illustrator for a period but just couldn't get a feel for it. I have since switched to Clip Studio Pro and have been fairly happy with it. I am still learning the tools, and process in general but am enjoying it. I have zero idea how to make this a faded map on parchment but I'll figure it out eventually.

I've done the place names freehand with just a grid and Calligraphy brush (Proceeded by CTRL+Z a few million times lol)

I draw most, if not all of my maps from the perspective of a "real person" that inhabits said world. A Marco Polo/Piri Reis approach gives you some leeway in accuracy, and in my opinion, gives the map character, making it feel "real".
    I also have a tendency to draw maps that are highly influenced by Tolkien so forgive me on that.

I have also been writing lore from this perspective so I've definitely got a long way to go.

Any thoughts or advice as to how I can sharpen my technique, as well as get the desired real world map look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope you enjoy!

I like the style you have going there! Mountains maybe could be a little closer together, but overall it's a great start. I've always found the idea of doing maps with subjective scale rather interesting. My one major issue is that your text is fairly hard to read in many cases. Perhaps either remove some of the more extravagant curlicues or add some lower-case letters that are a little easier to read? I can decipher it, but it takes squinting to do, which isn't usually the point of a fantasy map.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yeah, you really should choose a different font for the labels.