Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May Entry: Tanaka's Challenge

Wip Map Tile 5: the Samurai District

The next tile for the Chase map set, the Samurai District. The homes closest to the lord's castle comprise of the important samurai to his household. The narrow paved paths around the 12 foot walled homes are typical of samurai districts.

Upon exiting the Temple Garden door, the party is on one of the side roads through the samurai district. Samurai or ashigaru can be heard coming from the west of the map, so the only avenue is forward, however gated alleys force the party to travel east into the Artisan District next.

I figure two or three more until its complete - next tile is running through a silk dyers large shop (kind of like running through a factory.) Almost done!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaka-samurai.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	13124  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I hope you'll do a completed version with all the tiles as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Very cool. I am sure i could make use of this setting somewhere in my campaigns.

Post Tile #6: Outer moat/canal red bridge

Sure thing, RP, I'll do that when I'm completed with the tiles. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The silk dying factory is next, I promise. I thought I needed a transition area between the Samurai district and the Merchant/Artisan district of town. In case you haven't noticed, I like water features. Another thing I like water that is other than the color blue, as in everyone else's map. When there's only a single water feature, not being blue might confuse a viewer as to what its supposed to be. Being unconventional and using many water features, I have the option of showing everything from sewage water to green water.

The Red Bridge map... enjoy!

GP

Edit: fixed the bridge shadow, will leave plantlife/algae out for now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	tanaka-redbridge.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	673.0 KB 
ID:	13133  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-08-2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

The ends of the bridge look like they are floating over the stone.
    Green water typically needs more plant matter. Maybe some algae clumps or lots of plants.

This is going to be so cool when it is finished.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Map Tile #7: Silk Dyer Factory

Map Tiles #7: is a quick romp through a silk dying factory. Great spools of silk are being pulled into great vats of dye ink, after having been prepared in other structures. Great gears spinning, its fairly noisy, as a water mill drives the operation from below the floor. River water is utilized to soak the silk after dying occurs.

The PCs, must run up the stairs and across the catwalk to get by this obstacle while monk, samurai and ashigaru are hot on their tails.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	tanaka-dyer.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	13144  
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Map Tile #8: Mercantile Lane

Moving right along! Map Tile #8: the Mercantile Lane.

As part of the artisan/merchant district of Oten, this is one of the many narrow streets through this district of town. Ox carts laden with supplies block the passage to the north, while a gate blocks the south.

The walled section just off the avenue is the only way out.

GP

Name:	tanaka-business.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	13146  
    DrivethruRPG store

What prevents our heroes from going over the ox carts? Are there also people in the way?

Post Well...

Well I should have said a gaggle of samurai and ashigaru are trying to negotiate the ox carts to get to the PCs, plus I did plan to place some workers trying to unload those carts, besides if they don't go down that small alley, then the PCs will miss passing through the female section of the public baths, which is in the next tile! (I'll keep the nudity to a minimum, of course!)

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Ah! Well that is important then! The samurai and ashigaru definitely serve as a good barrier then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast