Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May Entry: Tanaka's Challenge

Wip Tiles # 9 & 10

OK, Tiles # 9 & 10: The Public Bath and the Torii Gate

Almost done, three left after these two!

The first one is a public bathhouse, which are seperated by sex, this one is for the females. Exiting into a back alley, the path is only open to the entrance of the Shinto Temple. The next tile features the Torii Gate entrance to a Shinto shrine, the last property before the river bank towards freedom.

One note here, the party should be submissive to the holy land they are entering here. A fountain at the gate is for ritually cleansing oneself, by taking a mouth full of water, then spitting it out, then pouring the last of the ladel over your hands. Despite being in a hurry to escape the party should take a few moments to cleanse themselves as they enter the temple shrine.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaka-bath.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	612.0 KB 
ID:	13150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaka-torii.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	768.1 KB 
ID:	13151  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip These three then one more!

Tiles # 11, 12 & 13 (one more to go!):

I'm doing my best to wrap this up tonight, so I can get to working on paid-for maps, which is what I am supposed to be doing!

Tiles # 11 & 12 or two sides of the riverbank shrine, which the torii gate led to. A boat will be found on the small pier, which the PCs can jump into and escape the chase altogether.

Tile #13: river open water, should be used at least twice for the crossing of the river. (last one #14 will be the other side of the river and ending scene of the adventure chase!)

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	tanaka-shrine1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	13156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaka-shrine2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	782.9 KB 
ID:	13157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaka-river.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	13158  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Last Map Tile

Last Tile# 14: the Far Shore

The party has evaded death and capture to finally cross the river. Upon reaching the far shore, they are free. As the party departs from the boat, a flock (murder) of crow fly overheads, landing in an opening by the shore and reforms into Lord Izo Tanaka.

"As I said, you are free as innocents, neither I nor my men will seek you out. However, I also do not want you to perform provocateur missions in my domain, without my permission. If you join my special operations team, I will have employment for you - what say you?"

[Next and last post will have all the maps interconnected for you to see!]

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	tanaka-shore.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	13165  
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Composited tiles map!

As per RPMiller's request, I composited all the map tiles into a single map. I tried to upload it into the site, but it was just too big. The final map measures 70" tall by 380" wide at 50 ppi, though as a low res JPG, it is only 3.5 MB in size, dimensionally, its just too big to load.

Edit: I just realized 70" x 380" is really almost 6 foot tall and 32 feet wide - gah!

So here's a link to the final composited map image on my site, enjoy!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com/kaida...-challenge.jpg

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Well done GP! Now in your spare time, HA!, you can create tiles to fill in all the "missing" areas.

Seriously though this is a great entry. Thank you.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Awesome Work GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

This is pretty awesome GP. I just put all the tiles into my app and its pretty cool to move around that expanse. Its a shame that theres some continuity errors at the tile edges. Isn't it possible to cut and paste and inch off the right of one tile and put onto left of next tile and then continue the mapping before chopping off repeated section at the end. It doesn't affect the game play at all tho. Dunno how anyone gonna beat this but you never know till its over.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-09-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Post It ain't perfect, but good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This is pretty awesome GP. I just put all the tiles into my app and its pretty cool to move around that expanse. Its a shame that theres some continuity errors at the tile edges. Isn't it possible to cut and paste and inch off the right of one tile and put onto left of next tile and then continue the mapping before chopping off repeated section at the end. It doesn't affect the game play at all tho. Dunno how anyone gonna beat this but you never know till its over.
    Yeah, I know it ain't perfect. The worst one is from the tunnel out of the moat to meet the tunnel exit at the clean water creek. I even toyed with the idea of creating a jaggedy tunnel to connect the two more cleanly. But I figured based on roughly a MB or less per tile, that most VTs could only show one at a time, and where the edges are slightly off - as you say, it doesn't affect play.

What I like, is without showing the castle town in its entirely, just a narrow slice, still gives you a good sense on how the districts are separated, how many districts comprise the town and how to get from place to place. It was a fun challenge. Glad to have gotten it done, even before the prize list announcement. So I hope to at least place.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Will Xara allow you to copy a slice across to continue mapping. Thats what Handsome Rob did with his big world map and he had very little of those continuity issues. Its not a biggie as you - well, normal people at any rate - would print these out on A4 and pop one down at a time.

Yeah, its certainly possible for that. I didn't really think my way through when I started, in that, I created the first one, not knowing at the time, I was going to create more. Then once I created the a second one - it was a separate creation. Towards the end I got smart, so the temple on the river bank, matches much more closely than the previous tiles, as that is how I created it.

Still when working with massive dimensioned maps, Xara sometimes hiccups and I lose data. So I tend to work in smaller pieces. If I was smart, I would have created these in matched pairs, but as I said, only after undergoing the bulk of the process, did I figure that I should do that. I didn't want to go back and do that process all over again. Still it might be worth moving those exits to match more closely. I may have some time the week after next to look at this again.

Based on my schedule, though, this may be in its final format. We'll see.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast