Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using google sketchup as a battlemap

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That's exactly what I was referring to. Looks just like I thought it would, lacking in 3d realism but serves good enough to show objects and spatial relations. How'd ya do it?
    double clicked on sang then i dragged the image to sang it will put itself vertically (i edited the pics on photoshop to make the background transparent and saved them as png) then i adjusted the image to the axes sang has and deleted sang and presto!

sorry for the double post but i had to add this screenshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R12nd.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	703.6 KB 
ID:	13131  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice dynamic angle, I like it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've used Sketch up to some success for RPG areas. Mainly for places that are multi-levelled and somewhat difficult to really visualize in 2D. I don't tend to use it for the actual VTT, because it's hard to really wander through it in a manner consistent with actual game play. I usually just create a few scenes from various perspectives and then the players can see a "fly through" to the next scene. If I get enthusiastic, I'll even export an animation.

Here are a couple of pics of a church to the Raven Queen I got about 2/3rds finished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenChurch1.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	24412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenChurch2.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	24414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenChurch4.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	24413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenChurch3.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	613.2 KB 
ID:	24411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RavenChurch5.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	722.2 KB 
ID:	24415

And a link to a video of a cut-away for a different building - a tower-top in the city of Sharn in the Eberron campaign I was running.
    http://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B9A6AS...download&hl=en

And here are some still shots of the Sharn Tower from the video link in the previous post.

Name:	OctagonalTower-pool.png 
Views:	347 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	24420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctagonalTower-pool2.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	401.5 KB 
ID:	24421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctagonalTower-3.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	402.2 KB 
ID:	24418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctagonalTower-4.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	24417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctagonalTower-1.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	24416

And yes, that *is* a pool with a transparent bottom on the roof of the tower, through which one can see the dining room 2 floors below.

Thanks Torstan! That means a lot to me, coming from you .. I love your work - just downloaded all your free art for maptools. I am working on a top-down battlemap for a D&D session this weekend, but if I don't finish in time, I may need to use your excellent MineEntrance map - It's not a perfect fit for the scenario, but I may just change the scenario just to use that map

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good - and I agree on using 2D "cut-outs" in the 3D world is just...well, a world easier
    When 4e D&D came out 2 years ago, they talked about that they would supplement the pen-and-paper rpg with online functions - they showed a really nice demo of a 3D dungeon, with lighting and all. Your torches would light up what you actually could see, you could import your character from the character sheet (also 3D) and use as a miniature and of course the whole Monsters Manual would be available for the GM ... it looked really cool and as a great improvement over fantasy grounds (which is an ok program). But unfortunatly it looks like the limited wizards/Hasbroe resources can't finish the program - there hasn't even been a single statements since about how far along it is...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Map

importing wow models works well as well, let me show you:

Name:	16869_300097500588_607205588_5069361_3797004_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	30752

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking really good - and I agree on using 2D "cut-outs" in the 3D world is just...well, a world easier
    When 4e D&D came out 2 years ago, they talked about that they would supplement the pen-and-paper rpg with online functions - they showed a really nice demo of a 3D dungeon, with lighting and all. Your torches would light up what you actually could see, you could import your character from the character sheet (also 3D) and use as a miniature and of course the whole Monsters Manual would be available for the GM ... it looked really cool and as a great improvement over fantasy grounds (which is an ok program). But unfortunatly it looks like the limited wizards/Hasbroe resources can't finish the program - there hasn't even been a single statements since about how far along it is...
    Yeah I remember that! I got really excited and showed my Rolemaster group the teaser videos. If anything was going to bring me back to D&D that would have been it. Ah well..
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast