Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using google sketchup as a battlemap

Map Using google sketchup as a battlemap

hello there its been a while... i will be trying to run scepter tower of spellguard module by making the maps 3dish and using them directly in Google sketchup, while this is not very practical my layers have liked the idea of seeing the dungeons in 3d. let me know what you think.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=dungeon1.jpg

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...current=R1.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea...the first image is very dark but I could make out enough .
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Neat idea...the first image is very dark but I could make out enough .
    hehe that was me testing the fog feature, for when i use dark maps, or dungeons with no illumination.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that it's a great idea to do some 3d dungeons...gives the player a real sense of space. As to the rats you might want to try doing something like the people and trees and other objects that you can import...they look sort of flat like a "shrinky dink". I have never made one myself but maybe there's a tut somewhere. Good start though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think that it's a great idea to do some 3d dungeons...gives the player a real sense of space. As to the rats you might want to try doing something like the people and trees and other objects that you can import...they look sort of flat like a "shrinky dink". I have never made one myself but maybe there's a tut somewhere. Good start though.
    true but imagine having to do that for every monster i use... imagine rendering a hydra! i am not much of a modeler and most likely will only use it for this module if not ill have.As for the 2d images i tried looking for a tutorial and did not find it, maybe its the lack of time... scepter tower has alot of maps!
    but anyways ill be posting more screens of other dungeons! thanks for the input!

I'm not talking about full 3d renders, I'm talking about something like the default people objects...like the one of the girl holding books when you start a new image, standing by the x, y, and z, coordinate lines. There's a bunch of those that can be imported from one of the SU folders that gets installed. It's basically just an image, a line drawing. If we could find a way to make any image like those into an object then that would be sweet. I'd make me some dragons
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm not talking about full 3d renders, I'm talking about something like the default people objects...like the one of the girl holding books when you start a new image, standing by the x, y, and z, coordinate lines. There's a bunch of those that can be imported from one of the SU folders that gets installed. It's basically just an image, a line drawing. If we could find a way to make any image like those into an object then that would be sweet. I'd make me some dragons
    ah yes i tried searching for that too no luck if you do find a tutorial let me know, ill keep searching!

another map:
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...u_2007/R1B.jpg

Blog Entries

Making actual 3D tokens is hard and is the #1 reason why everyones VTT is in 2D. We could all do a 3D one like the games - in fact by using a game engine it would probably not be all that hard. But the content creation would be... challenging.

To make automatic tokens for 2D images should be relatively easy tho. If I knew the sketchup format then it might be no problem. You can generate the wavefront .OBJ format pretty easily as its all text based. Most apps like blender will import them no problem. Maybe you can get blender to make the tokens...

Getting preexisting common monsters in 3D is not so bad. Here is a forum I use a little tho there are many. Most contain lots of crappy models tho and a few good ones. Theres a lot of rough to get through before you spot your diamond.

http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/...hp&count=count

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Making actual 3D tokens is hard and is the #1 reason why everyones VTT is in 2D. We could all do a 3D one like the games - in fact by using a game engine it would probably not be all that hard. But the content creation would be... challenging.

To make automatic tokens for 2D images should be relatively easy tho. If I knew the sketchup format then it might be no problem. You can generate the wavefront .OBJ format pretty easily as its all text based. Most apps like blender will import them no problem. Maybe you can get blender to make the tokens...

Getting preexisting common monsters in 3D is not so bad. Here is a forum I use a little tho there are many. Most contain lots of crappy models tho and a few good ones. Theres a lot of rough to get through before you spot your diamond.

http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/...hp&count=count

well i kinda figure how to do the 2d models like sang (thats the name of the dude that appears by default in sketchup and here are some screenshots of images put in that way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	610.9 KB 
ID:	13115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	13116  

That's exactly what I was referring to. Looks just like I thought it would, lacking in 3d realism but serves good enough to show objects and spatial relations. How'd ya do it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast