Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using google sketchup as a battlemap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Using google sketchup as a battlemap

hello there its been a while... i will be trying to run scepter tower of spellguard module by making the maps 3dish and using them directly in Google sketchup, while this is not very practical my layers have liked the idea of seeing the dungeons in 3d. let me know what you think.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=dungeon1.jpg

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...current=R1.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea...the first image is very dark but I could make out enough .
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Neat idea...the first image is very dark but I could make out enough .
    hehe that was me testing the fog feature, for when i use dark maps, or dungeons with no illumination.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that it's a great idea to do some 3d dungeons...gives the player a real sense of space. As to the rats you might want to try doing something like the people and trees and other objects that you can import...they look sort of flat like a "shrinky dink". I have never made one myself but maybe there's a tut somewhere. Good start though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think that it's a great idea to do some 3d dungeons...gives the player a real sense of space. As to the rats you might want to try doing something like the people and trees and other objects that you can import...they look sort of flat like a "shrinky dink". I have never made one myself but maybe there's a tut somewhere. Good start though.
    true but imagine having to do that for every monster i use... imagine rendering a hydra! i am not much of a modeler and most likely will only use it for this module if not ill have.As for the 2d images i tried looking for a tutorial and did not find it, maybe its the lack of time... scepter tower has alot of maps!
    but anyways ill be posting more screens of other dungeons! thanks for the input!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not talking about full 3d renders, I'm talking about something like the default people objects...like the one of the girl holding books when you start a new image, standing by the x, y, and z, coordinate lines. There's a bunch of those that can be imported from one of the SU folders that gets installed. It's basically just an image, a line drawing. If we could find a way to make any image like those into an object then that would be sweet. I'd make me some dragons
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Torstan! That means a lot to me, coming from you .. I love your work - just downloaded all your free art for maptools. I am working on a top-down battlemap for a D&D session this weekend, but if I don't finish in time, I may need to use your excellent MineEntrance map - It's not a perfect fit for the scenario, but I may just change the scenario just to use that map

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good - and I agree on using 2D "cut-outs" in the 3D world is just...well, a world easier
    When 4e D&D came out 2 years ago, they talked about that they would supplement the pen-and-paper rpg with online functions - they showed a really nice demo of a 3D dungeon, with lighting and all. Your torches would light up what you actually could see, you could import your character from the character sheet (also 3D) and use as a miniature and of course the whole Monsters Manual would be available for the GM ... it looked really cool and as a great improvement over fantasy grounds (which is an ok program). But unfortunatly it looks like the limited wizards/Hasbroe resources can't finish the program - there hasn't even been a single statements since about how far along it is...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking really good - and I agree on using 2D "cut-outs" in the 3D world is just...well, a world easier
    When 4e D&D came out 2 years ago, they talked about that they would supplement the pen-and-paper rpg with online functions - they showed a really nice demo of a 3D dungeon, with lighting and all. Your torches would light up what you actually could see, you could import your character from the character sheet (also 3D) and use as a miniature and of course the whole Monsters Manual would be available for the GM ... it looked really cool and as a great improvement over fantasy grounds (which is an ok program). But unfortunatly it looks like the limited wizards/Hasbroe resources can't finish the program - there hasn't even been a single statements since about how far along it is...
    Yeah I remember that! I got really excited and showed my Rolemaster group the teaser videos. If anything was going to bring me back to D&D that would have been it. Ah well..
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast