Thread: April-May: Temple of the Storm God

Map April-May: Temple of the Storm God

Check out the most recent version here!

This entry is still WiP--I just found this site a few days ago and decided to participate when I found the challenge a few days ago. Sorry if putting up an incomplete is frowned upon. I just wanted to get my foot in the door and maybe buy myself a day or two before Ravells closes the contest

This temple to the King of Storms is a lonesome, stalwart structure clinging to a rugged claystone bluff along the sea's edge. The temple itself consists of three structures that crawl up the face of the cliff. At the bottom is the temple proper--a modest sized fresco'ed floor with a stone roof supported by pillars that offers only modest protection from the wind and rain. Above it is a viewing platform that rises above the sea's edge and is fully exposed to it's patron's wrath. Finally, perched atop a rocky peak, is the altar, where sacrifices benign and foul are made to sate the King of Storm's fearsome appetite. The entire structure is made of imported, blue-grey marble which reminds the devout of the stormy sea and sky.

So far only the platform and terrain are complete. I know its not technically one-story, but there are no overlapping structures and the implementation is no different from having three small structures connected by walkways. The illusion of depth really only exists for theme and texture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm-temple.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	13038  
    Last edited by msa; 05-08-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: mispelling + clarification

Looks good so far, msa.
    If WIP was frowned on here, I'd be in serious trouble.
    I'm not so sure about buying time, though. I don't think it'll be closed early if there are still entries coming in, but I doubt if it'll be closed late.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    I'm not so sure about buying time, though. I don't think it'll be closed early if there are still entries coming in, but I doubt if it'll be closed late.
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant... sorry. It looked like Ravallis might close early from his post in the main thread. I assumed due to lack of recent activity. I wanted to post some activity here just in case that might have an impact!

I think I will be done before the weekend, in any case. I doubt it will be much of a concern.

I figured I'd close it on or about 10th May to give some time for voting and time to post a new challenge to get it back on track for a 15th - 15th run. It's great to see another entry though!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I figured I'd close it on or about 10th May to give some time for voting and time to post a new challenge to get it back on track for a 15th - 15th run. It's great to see another entry though!
    The 10th would be grand. I may not have a chance to work on it for the next few days (although I may squeeze in some time). However, I'll probably be able to steal a chunk of work time on the 9th to polish off what I've got at least.

I put another 2 hours into this map tonight... most of it redoing work that I did in the wrong layer I moved the coastline up a bit to put in space for the main temple, redid the water, and added the stairs and the altar. I've included a new version of the map, as well as added a new link here to the first post.

Someone let me know if I should just update the original image or add new ones.

Views:	51 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	13055  

Guild Apprentice

I like this, especially the line where the ocean meets the shore. And I love your italic concept description at the top, it's beautifully done. The idea of a storm god's temple on the shore alone - the idea is awesome. I look forward to seeing the final version with the temple proper.
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    Someone let me know if I should just update the original image or add new ones.
    Just my opinion, but I like to see new images so I can check back how the picture has developed.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I was able to get a few more hours today, but this is probably the last chunk of time I'll get with this map. So I'll officially call it quits. I was hoping to add some shadows and details, but the mosaic floor took a bigger chunk of my time than I'd hoped. Still, I think its the highlight of the map.

Also, all comments and criticism are welcome.

I can't wait for the next challenge so I can put a reasonable amount of time into an submission!

Views:	102 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	13140  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was about to ask what is that "Jumpman" thing on the floor but duh, I turned my head a little bit and saw that it was lightning. I can be a lil dense sometimes Good job and I can't wait to see your next venture, I like the linear style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I was about to ask what is that "Jumpman" thing on the floor but duh, I turned my head a little bit and saw that it was lightning. I can be a lil dense sometimes Good job and I can't wait to see your next venture, I like the linear style.
    Thanks a lot. Glad the lightning was clear enough. Don't blame yourself... I was a little worried about it too. If I had more time I would have obsessed over it a little more. I'm proud of the mosaic effect in that bit, but it took to much time to get it just the way I wanted.