Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some semi-off-topic artistic advice. (Sundial/Compass Render)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post I need some semi-off-topic artistic advice. (Sundial/Compass Render)

Hi guys...I've brought this model back to life because of the fantastic photographic exposure controls and photometric lighting capabilities of the newer versions of 3D Studio.

I'm pretty happy with the model, and the lighting is also kinda cool. But this "Scene" is missing a lot. I want to compose a scene that really makes the instrument pop, but doesn't overpower the instrument. Something that makes it look like its on display.

What do you guys suggest for composition? Or any other feedback would be useful too.

(Sorry for the watermark)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sundial.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	13039  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's very cool indeed. Perhaps darkening the background. That would pull the focus of the image onto the compass with the highlights. Another option would be to place it on a pedestal and have the background slightly blurred with a depth of field effect.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It is an amazing render - very cool.

Maybe put it outdoors where the 'sun-dial' portion comes more into play.

-or-

Center it on a table with a old dilapidated map underneath it along with some other navigation stuff.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Awesome rendering, Robby!

That's an awesome rendering of the clock piece, Robby!

Don't really have any immediate suggestions. I'd probably place it somewhere it looks in use. Have some REP!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yea put it on top of a map.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I would put it on some kind of pedestal - possibly the type used when it was in actual use. Then try to do some depth of field stuff to get the background out of focus.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the map idea....hmm...pedestal from when it was actually in use...Thats a good question...what kind of pedestal would that be? Is this a nautical device? I dunno.

Anyone wanna contribute a map? Its gotta be old-style like old parchment I think to do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback guys!

DoF is coming, it just adds a lot of time to the render.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

/Digs around
    Feel free to use this one:
    http://www.fantasticmaps.com/Gallery.../StGeorges.jpg

That's about the closest I've got.

As for the pedestal - I'd go for richly varnished wood from a sailing ship. This looks nautical to me. Looks like it should be mounted in front of the wheel of a 17th-18th century spice cutter (he says with no historical backing at all).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The current wooden stand it's sitting on looks like the stool I sit on at work...so my thought is that it is too pedestrian to be used as a proper display pedestal. I'm with torstan all the way so far and the map idea is good as well but it should probably be a map of the area where it was found. Possibly a good idea for a challenge map would be to add a second map which shows the actual archeological site (as was suggested some months back). If I remember right, it was found under water but if you're just doing this for fun then any two maps would be cool. I might suggest a glass case with a small plaque that has all of the pertinent information about this archeological find and maybe a photograph of the dude who found it. BTW, awesome render.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That is one beautiful render!!! The glass.....the glass...if only I could get that subtle glass effect with Bryce.

From a colour point of view if you really want the render to pop, I would use a complimentary colour to the dominant gold of the instrument....use a colour wheel. I make it this bluey colour attached below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	13051  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast