Thread: May Entry: The mall o' Death

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post May Entry: The mall o' Death

The suffix "o' death" seems to be creeping into all my competition entries, but I need some help with this one.

So this is a shopping mall which the players have to get through to avoid death. I really like shopping malls with very small lots (there's a great one in Kuala Lumpur called 'Sungei Wang (means 'River of money' in English) Plaza') it's a maze of little video and electronic/computer lots...It was built in the 70s and is getting old, tatty and downmarket now which makes it even more atmospheric. I love the place, it's like something out of a traveller adventure. Lots of chinese guys and chinese girls selling hot DVDs, cheap electronic gadgets, cheap tailors, noodle bars etc. It's like each small lot is is it's own little individual world. It has a real buzz to it that you don't get in the expensive malls which are full of 'Gucci' type stuff - for me those places are dead and boring. Want a Play Station hacked? Want some grey imports? It's all there. The pirate shops have a 'lookout' for the police stationed on corners. It's really cool in a distopian future way.

I'm using that brilliant forced perspective look that Mox404 is using in the lite challenge which I'm taken with. I really like the way that on this scale it shows verticals which can give so much more information.

This is experimenting at the moment, (ignore the obviously stretched lots which I'll correct when I get to filling them). What I'm struggling with is this: I'd really like to do signs for each of the stores, the tailors could be called 'Suits You, Sir', the weapons shop 'Al's Bullet Bazaar' etc. (Ho Ho not very original)...but where should I put the signage? I think the signage would add a really fun and individual feel to the map, but I can't think where I can put it. My bail out position is to have a store guide appended to the side of the map with the signage there, but I'd prefer to get it all 'on map'.

Any ideas?

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090505 export.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	13047