Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP question

Post Windows XP question

I have windows XP which I've skinned to look like Windows classic as far as I can.

When I want to open a file I get this menu (see below). Is there a way I can add shortcuts to the place indicated so I don't have to burrow through layers of stuff to find the folder I want?

I did a google but didn't turn up anything useful.

All help much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows q.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	13049  

As far as I know no you cannot. It is a set menu that shows those particular items and nothing else. So the only way to mod it would be with a registry editor.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

If I may, might I suggest the easier solution of putting ALL of your desired shortcuts under your "My Documents" directory so that it's simply one extra mouse-click to get to them? Just an idea.

Just out of curiosity, what application are you opening from? Some applications use Windows dialogs, others, like Adobe for example, sometimes use their own custom UI, which, if the SDK allows, you might be able to potentially get into and modify (if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing).

I noticed that you use CS2, so this might help solve your issue for that particluar app. CS2 has the option to switch between the Adobe open dialog and the Windows OS dialog - depending on which you prefer. However, the Adobe dialog has a "favorites" section on the left; you can browse to any directory, right-click and go "add to favorites" so that it will show up there - essentially, you're building a list of shortcuts like you want. CS2 also has something called "workspaces", but I've never used those, so I don't know much about them.

It's possible you already know all this about CS2, in which case, feel free to ignore me!

Cheers,
    GiantAcroyear

No...no I don't! That would be fantastic!

I already have all the stuff I want to use in my documents, but there's so many folders there it's three clicks: my documents>my maps>[wanted]map. I would just like to have the 'my maps' folder one click away so I don't have to keep hunting for it in my documents.

I don't know anything about SDK so that's not an option for me, I'm afraid. However I will try the CS2 dialog...that might sort it for me with that app at least!

Thanks, giant!

:: Hmm I tried the Adobe dialog and my Nikon transfer file is there, but I can't find a way of putting other folders there though...I'll google it and hope to find the answer ::

:: got it....just need to make the folder a favourite and it appears in the left hand bar:: - thanks a million - when one adds up all the wasted time in the hunting, I am sure that I will owe you at least 6 hours of my life when I shuffle off the mortal coil!!

ravells

Why not just use a launcher?

RobA recently recommended Launchy.
    I use-
    RocketDock
    ObjectDock
    CircleDock
    FindAndRunRobot (otherwise known as FARR)
    LaunchbarCommander
    TrueLaunchBar
    RecentX

Thanks dormouse, but will these get me to the folder I want when I want to open a document in a particular application.

For example, I use Serif Drawplus. I want to open a file in that so I use the open dialog within that app...would launchy work for this? From what I can see it opens apps but not files from within an app.

They'll all open files or folders.

They'll automatically launch the prog that the filetype is linked with if you open a file.

For me that is fine 95% of the time - but there's a lot of stuff I might want to open a PNG. For those, you may need to use an OpenWith dialog. Or use a hotkey that will launch a file in a particular prog. Whatever method you use in these instances, you have to select both the file and the prog.

If you want a whole folder opening in a particular prog, possibly the easiest way is to open a file in that folder that is associated with that prog. Then, when you go to the prog's Open File dialog, it will automatically start in the folder you want.
    Last edited by dormouse; 05-05-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Oh man...downloading now....you've just saved even more time in my life.

But will they give me shortcuts within an app when I use the open dialog there? I guess not...rats.

Of course my wife would say that you've taken up more time in my life as I'll spend more time here

But then she likes to watch TV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast