Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIMP Brush for drawing Buildings

I can definitely see where the concept of the backyard comes from. I'm wondering when front yards came into vogue. I would imagine it has something to do with the large estates and palaces of Europe.

Just an update.

I am playing with the newest unstable GIMP (available as a binary for windows) 2.3.18 and want to report a couple of new brush features that come in handy here.....

Brush scaling and brush jitter. Attached are samples....

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimp_2318_building_brush_stoke_112.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	511  

Here is a zip of the xcf file for the brush.

The way I made it was to have one layer per rotation angle, with each of the four brush shapes per layer.

It would be easier to enhance by having one brush shape per layer, with all the rotation, but I used a script-fu plugin called rotator that creates a new layer for each rotation. I might work on something to create rotated copies in the same layer (assuming I can figure out scheme)

Just save it as a gih (animated brush). I followed the instruction in Example 3 here

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey, this is awesome! Does anybody know if (and how) it is possible to tell photoshop to use random brush tip shapes for stroking a path? The only thing I know is how to create a random brush through scale, rotate etc - but I don't know how to pick a completely different brush shape...

Guild Apprentice

well, that solves one problem. i actually made an animated brush back when you first posted on this topic. the houses didn't rotate so i gave up on it.

how stable is 2.3.18? i'll get way too frustrated if it locks up alot. i'm still using 2.2

this is really nice work and i thank you for yur efforts and for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by terraficta View Post
    Hey, this is awesome! Does anybody know if (and how) it is possible to tell photoshop to use random brush tip shapes for stroking a path? The only thing I know is how to create a random brush through scale, rotate etc - but I don't know how to pick a completely different brush shape...
    I don't know about photoshop, sorry. Everyone says the brush engine is much better, so I assume it will do this, somehow.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Istarlome View Post
    well, that solves one problem. i actually made an animated brush back when you first posted on this topic. the houses didn't rotate so i gave up on it.

how stable is 2.3.18? i'll get way too frustrated if it locks up alot. i'm still using 2.2

this is really nice work and i thank you for yur efforts and for sharing it.
    Re: 2.3.18, it seems quite stable, I have been using it almost exclusively since I installed it, and it seems quite solid. One difference was a change to a different SCHEME interpreter (from SIOD to TinyScheme IIR) that broke a lot of the non-core script-fu I had, though the conversion is pretty simple, if you know a bit of SCHEME

To make it easier, I'm just sanding the rough edges off a script that will take a base image (or set of images) and create rotated copies and export it as a brush. Should have it ready for public consumption by the end of the week, if all goes well.

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 03-25-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terraficta View Post
    Matthias, I'm not sure if PS can do that (but I'm still at CS1). Painter's Image Hose rocks at this sort of application, though.

http://apps.corel.com/painterix/trai...id=tpc0705tip2

I found a photoshop plug-in here but I think you have to pay for it. As far as I understand though, the image hose is a little different to RobA's method, which is common in vector apps (although it looks like GIMP supports it too).

This is a 'chain line' in which you define symbols that fall along a vector line you draw. You can have as many or few symbols as you want and have the ability to alter their spacing, size etc all at once (i.e. each vector line holds the properties to how the symbols behave). It's a bit like the smart symbol tool on City Designer 2 when you want to build instant streets.

After reading the "zillions of buildings" question, and Torstan's tutorial on using the mosaic filter to make a city, I did a bit of playing.

Starting with a road template made by running the mosaic filter with successively smaller tiles and spacing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city1_roads.png 
Views:	1721 
Size:	738.9 KB 
ID:	7707

I then selected the black, shrunk the selection by 5 px, turned it into a path then stroked the path with the building brush.

I used a number of copies of that (bumpmap, motion blured shadow, outline, colour noise) to make the buildings.

I used a number of copies of the actual template to make the road and colouring.

I drew a quick wall around it all.

Lastly I made it sit on a hill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city1.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	7709

This is just intended to demonstrate the technique of stroking a mosaic with a building brush. It would work best for a certain type of neighborhood (see earlier in this thread for a discussion)

Sorry to bump my own post, but I wanted to bring this up to the new people here..

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast