Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIMP Brush for drawing Buildings

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Bump away - I'd forgotten about this.

On a related note - I can't get this brush to work with your random density map script. I can get other dynamic brushes to work, but not this one - don't kow quite why this should be?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Bump away - I'd forgotten about this.

On a related note - I can't get this brush to work with your random density map script. I can get other dynamic brushes to work, but not this one - don't kow quite why this should be?
    I think cause it is saved with angular mapping... i.e. it paints based on the angle of the stroke.

The random density script is just drawing points, so no direction.... (that is my guess).

You could open it up and re-save it with only one rank, completely random... then it would randomly use one of the four shapes and some random angle.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The master strikes again
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well after a little playing with the combination of the random density map and the building brush I get this for the same road layout as in my mosaic map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buildingTest.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	7718

Obviously the colours need a little work, but as a way of filling large areas with random building patterns it works remarkably well. Now we just need the random density plugin to resize the brush randomly as well....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Outstanding use of numerous techniques to solve a problem. The learning goes on. Now to work out something similar for PS. Nice job guys.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Btw Roba other then saying you are awesome and this is supa sweet, how do I set it up, to use it, being the ubernoob that I am. As of right now I'm trying to make a city map for a game I have however, I did the landscape really nice, but I didn't know how to do the housing, roads or walls, if anyone can help me out with a tutorial that would be much appreciated.
    Btw I'm using Gimp.

@heathen666 - specifically what guidance are you looking for? Have you read through Pyrandon's city map tutorial? it is readily applicable to GIMP (except for a few of the layer effects and styles used)

-Rob A>

no I have not, but sense you have suggested it I will check it out. I have actually done alot of work using your random housing brush as I like to call it. I also used some png's of trees that I had which came out pretty decent I guess, nothin' fantastic but it does the job.

Thanks for the brush!

How do you get it just to be a solid black (or whatever) color?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Thanks for the brush!

How do you get it just to be a solid black (or whatever) color?
    The simplest way is to set your foreground and background to the same colour then check the "Use Colour from Gradient" checkbox in the paintbrush properties dialog.

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast